Book Review: The Memory Book by Rowan Coleman

The Memory Book by Rowan Coleman
Publisher: Ebury (30th Jan 2014)

Received a copy for review from publisher.

Blurb:
The name of your first-born. The face of your lover. Your age. Your address...

What would happen if your memory of these began to fade?

Is it possible to rebuild your life? Raise a family? Fall in love again?

When Claire starts to write her Memory Book, she already knows that this scrapbook of mementoes will soon be all her daughters and husband have of her. But how can she hold on to the past when her future is slipping through her fingers...?  

I’ve only read one book by this author and it was Married By Christmas, written by her alter-ego, Scarlett Bailey. So I’m quite ashamed to admit that The Memory Book is my first book by Rowan Coleman and after reading it, I might as well get every one of her previous books because I flipping loved it!


The Memory Book follows the story of Claire Armstrong who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s, where she has no control over her memories and recollections. Enter the memory book, where she and her family pen their special memories together with her, making the most of their time together and cherishing every moment.

It’s my first time reading from the perspective of a character that has Alzheimer’s, and I’m telling you, it’s really an eye-opener. Claire has Alzheimer’s and she’s easily confused. It’s quite amazing how Rowan Coleman manages to introduce a heroine, which is quite special in this case that, it’s the readers who know what she’s going through and what’s going on in her Alzheimer-addled head. In many cases in the book, I really felt for her. Can you imagine living every day where you can’t fully rely on your brain to not cock up? How would you feel if you wake up one day and have the shock of your life when a stranger, who is your husband, kisses you good morning?

It is quite evident that Rowan Coleman is a household name when it comes to the genre and she knows what she’s writing. This is because The Memory Book has definitely blown me away, I reckon I might have missed out a lot for not reading her previous books! After reading The Memory Book, I can’t wait to get my hands on her other books, really. If they are as good as this one, oh! I’ve found another favourite author!

All in all, everything worked for me. I adored the heroine, she’s such a strong, independent woman who I think everyone would like and root for, the characters in the book are really well-written and of course, there’s a Ryan Gosling in the book so I guess it sums it all up? Come on, who doesn’t like a hero that is inspired by the Gosling? I know I do!

The Memory Book is an exceptionally powerful story about motherhood, family bonds and acceptance. Wonderfully insightful and achingly honest, I think it’s probably one of my favourites this year. One that shouldn’t be missed! Highly recommended! Perfect for fan of The Notebook.

Rating: 9/10

The perfect pair to play Claire and Greg has to be these two!

Comments