Book Review: The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me by Laura Tait & Jimmy Rice

The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me by Laura Tait & Jimmy Rice
Publisher: Corgi (10th Apr 2014 - eBook/3rd Jul 2014 - Paperback)

Received a proof for review from the publisher.

Blurb:
Everyone remembers their first love.

Holly certainly remembers Alex. But she decided ten years ago that love wasn’t about mix tapes and seizing the moment – though she’s not exactly sure it’s about secret dates with your boss, either.

But what if the feelings never really went away?

Alex wants to make every moment of his new job count. It’s a fresh start in a big city, and he’s almost certain that moving to London has nothing to do with Holly. Almost.

How do you know if it was meant to be… or never meant to happen at all?

First of all, let us all have a moment of silence to drink in (devour) the gorgeous cover of this fantastic debut novel by the dynamic duo, Laura Tait and Jimmy Rice. OK? Done? Wait. I need to go for seconds. OK, now I'm done, my eyes are satisfied. Right, down to business, The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me is one of my most anticipated books of the year and clearly, I couldn't resist myself when a proof copy arrived a few days ago. The verdict is? Richard Curtis, call up for film rights right now.

The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me follows the story of two childhood best friends, Holly and Alex, who are inseparable mates. But little do they know, both of them fancy each other but they are too afraid of risking their friendship to confesses their feelings for each other. Set in 1999 and 2010, the book is a tender, moving love story about the one who got away and unrequited love. Or at least that's what they thought..

What I really liked about the book is that, it's written from both hero and heroine's perspective. I'll take a wild guess and say that Jimmy Rice writes from Alex's POV whereas Laura Tait writes from Holly's. Let's just say that it worked out perfectly. I really liked both Alex and Holly and they such wonderful leading characters, I was rooting for them to end up together! They had such amazing chemistry and the further I progressed through the novel, the more I fell in love with them.

Do you know what The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me reminds me of? One Day. Yes, maybe One Day meets When Harry Met Sally. Nevertheless, the novel was brilliant and I thoroughly enjoyed every page of it. Need evidence? I finished it in one day. The plot is split between Alex and Holly's lives before going to Uni (1999) and their adult lives in 2010, where they discover that 11 years is a lifetime but when they meet again, it feels like yesterday. I'll guarantee you, you'll definitely get the warm, gooey feeling in your tummy after reading this, just like the ones you get after watching a really touching albeit cheesy romantic comedy. You know the feeling you get when your heart swells with love and emotion when the hero tells the heroine that's she's beautiful and all you want to do is hug someone and cry happily? Yes, I nearly did that. With a pillow.

The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me really riveted me because as far as romantic comedies go, it's got the sublime plot, wonderful characters, inevitable and frustrating near-misses and clever, amusing dialogue. It will definitely brighten your day and plaster a smile on your face after reading it. One of the most anticipated books for me this year, The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me did not disappoint me the slightest! I loved every page of it and I will definitely station myself in bookstores to tell people to get it! Highly recommended!

Rating: 10/10

Jennifer Lawrence as Holly and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (*squeals*) as Alex

Comments

  1. Love this review, Kevin, and can't wait to read the book!

    The new look on your blog looks FABULOUS, by the way! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, lovely Jody! You have to read this. You'll definitely love it! I'm having a giveaway on April 18th! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment