#BookevinReads Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller

DOTPK

Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends (28th Feb 2017)
Series: Daughter of the Pirate King #1


feathers-break

Blurb:
Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map—the key to a legendary treasure trove—seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.


More than a match for the ruthless pirate crew, Alosa has only one thing standing between her and the map: her captor, the unexpectedly clever and unfairly attractive first mate, Riden. But not to worry, for Alosa has a few tricks up her sleeve, and no lone pirate can stop the Daughter of the Pirate King.



Rating: 4/5


feathers-break

I'd like to thank Macmillan USA International for sending me a copy of Daughter of the Pirate King for review.






After reading and loving V. E. Schwab’s Shades of Magic trilogy which is incredibly awesome and features a female pirate who is an all-around badass, I might have developed a liking towards female pirates.




“I value other traits above an affinity for torture and power over those weaker than oneself. I value brilliant minds, honest souls, and those with long endurance. I forge relationships based on trust and mutual respect, not fear and control.”



So you can get an inkling of how excited I was to read debut novelist Tricia Levenseller’s YA novel, Daughter of the Pirate King which sounds all kinds of awesome.


Daughter of the Pirate King follows the story of Alosa, who is the daughter of the Pirate King and the captain of her own crew. In order to board her target’s ship to look for a hidden map, she allows herself to be captured. Using her crafty ways, she plays a game of deceit and lies, but much to her chagrin–or maybe her surprise as well–she finds her match in the first mate of her mark’s ship, Raden.


I am a huge fan of heroines who are independent, crafty and quick on their feet. The protagonist of Daughter of the Pirate King, Alosa is fierce, badass and the captain of her own crew. I love the badassery and how confident she is when faced with difficult situations. Also, her interaction with Raden did amuse me, immensely.




“I am me because I choose to be me. I am what I want. Some people say you have to find yourself. Not I. I believe we create ourselves to be what we want. Any aspect of ourselves that we do not like can be altered if we make an effort.”



However, I found her character development rather lacking in the sense that her backstory wasn’t explored enough and there were a few things that I wanted to know more about her, especially her relationship with her father, the Pirate King.


Though I must commend Tricia Levenseller on writing a character that is relatable, brave and oftentimes sassy. The action scenes were quite good and I did enjoy the fast pace of the book. I would definitely like to see more of her relationship with Raden in the next book. Yes, there is a sequel and it’s scheduled for a spring 2018 release. I can’t wait to find out what happens next!




“Everyone has something dark in their past. I suppose it's our job to overcome it. And if we can’t overcome it, then all we can do is make the most of it.”



Daughter of the Pirate King is definitely an entertaining story you could lose yourself in for a few hours. Granted, the book isn’t very long, so it was quite a quick read for me. The book started off really well and it did hit some bumps and snags along the way but the plot twist, which I found quite subtle, was good and it did open up more possibilities for Tricia Levenseller to expand Alosa’s backstory in the second book.


kevin

Comments

  1. I have this book on my Most Anticipated of 2017! Great review, I'm even more excited to read this one – I haven't read any pirate books before so this will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard a ton about this book since its release, but I'm so glad to see you liked it! I got in in my Owlcrate a few months ago and I'm really excited to read it (like you, Lila Bard definitely got me hooked on female pirates lol). Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely a very fun read! Have fun with it, Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After this, you should try Schwab's ADSOM trilogy! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment