Book Review : Diva by Carrie Duffy

Title : Diva
Author : Carrie Duffy
Publication date : 19th July 2012
Publisher : Harper
Source : Sent by the lovely author herself, thank you, Carrie! x

Rating : 5/5

Stunning and sexy, Dionne Summers is a girl who speaks her mind. Brought up on the mean streets of Detroit, she is determined that nothing will stop her from becoming the world’s next supermodel.  
Beautiful and innocent, Alyson McIntyre is desperate to escape her upbringing. She decides it is time to take hold of her life and follow her dreams.  

Heading to the chic streets of Paris, the girls move in with a maverick young designer, Cece Bouvier. Born to a life of luxury and glamour, Cece is determined to stand on her own two feet and take the fashion world by storm.  

The girls vow to make it to the top, but their friendship is about to be tested to the limits when deception, betrayal and tragedy are played out in the glare of the paparazzi flashbulbs. Can the three girls overcome the ghosts of the past – or will the catwalk consume them?

WOW! is all I can say when I finished Diva. What could I say when it's what I expected when I received a copy of Diva in my mailbox. I knew I would enjoy it because I loved America's Next Top Model, so I had high hopes for this book and gladly, the book lived up to my expectations. I loved it. Totally worth staying up late at night finishing it off!

This is my first by the talented and fashion savvy Carrie Duffy, as I missed her debut novel, Idol last year. Sob. So I thought of this as a debut novel, something weird for me, but strangely it worked. As soon as I started on Diva, I was sucked into the fashion world. Being a fan of America's Next Top Model and former fashion lover, I enjoyed every page Diva had to offer.

The story follows three young women, determined to make it big in the world of glitz and glamour and of course, gorgeous clothes. Dionne Summer, a black model, hoping to make it big as an African-American model with a feisty attitude and being utterly ruthless to get on top. Then there's Alyson McIntyre, a young woman with a troubled past, with a drive to succeed in the corporate world and lastly, Cece Bouvier, fashion extraordinaire hoping to become the next Coco Chanel but finding it difficult to display her beautiful creations. I found the three of them really wonderful to read about, with their own personalities and stories to tell.

Despite some predictable twists in the story, I admit I was actually following what Carrie had to offer, reading page after page and BAM! Unexpected twist out of a sudden. The flow of the book was pretty upbeat for me as the chapters were divided equally to tell the stories of all three heroines. I really enjoyed reading the fashion scenes in the book - Dionne's photoshoots, Alyson's sudden shot to fame as The Next Big Thing and of course, Cece's impromptu fashion show! And to top it all of, the book was set mainly in Paris! Whoop whoop! Totally loved the fashion scene in Paris, from the glamorous to the hip.

All in all, I loved it! It brought back the memories of watching America's Next Top Model every Monday night after dinner when I had the telly all to myself. Carrie Duffy is definitely one to look out for if you're a fashion addict who has a love for chick lit.

Comments