Book Review : All That Glitters by Ilana Fox

Title : All That Glitters
Author : Ilana Fox
Publication date : 13th September 2012
Publisher : Orion
Source : Sent by the publisher, thank you! 

Ella Aldridge seems to have it all. Married to Danny Riding, one of the Premiership's leading goal-scorers, she lives the dream - the mansion, the car, the freebie designer clothes. But Ella and Danny have a secret. Their marriage is not what is seems. Between them, it takes a lot of hard work to fool the press and the nation that they really are Love's Young Dream, when deep down Danny's desires lie elsewhere.

With Ella's star in the ascendant, the world is at her feet - a TV show, a fashion column. But then she meets Johnny Cooper, the bad boy of British television. He's ruthlessly charming and sexy, and he can see through Ella's sham of a marriage in a heartbeat. Drawn into a risky, high-octane affair, Ella suddenly realises how much she has to lose and how quickly it can be taken from her...

I have never read any of Ilana's books but I have to say, although All That Glitters wasn't her first book, it blew me away! I blame my country's book stores for not carrying Ilana's previous books, her debut novel The Making of Mia and her second one, Spotlight but thank heavens All That Glitters is available now. About bloody time. However, I took matters at hand and contacted Ilana's PR officer at Orion and within 2 weeks I got what I wanted. The arrival of All That Glitters in my mailbox! Ta-da!

I can't say this without sounding very cliche, but it was soooooo addictive! Such a fun read; scandalous and highly entertaining. To prove my point, I finished it in 2 days! I was so caught up with the plot, I neglected doing my homework and had to rush on Sunday night but it was so worth it. And another thing about All That Glitters is that it's based on WAGs and football, basically something new to me as the only sport I'm interested in involves a glamazon on court with high fashion outfits and swishy golden locks.

Ever since I read The Perfect Location by Kate Forster, I am hooked on scandalous chick lit books, the same sub-genre as Tasmina Perry, Rebecca Chance, Jackie Collins. And adding one more talented author to that particular list - Ilana Fox. As you know I prefer books written from the heroine's perspective, which gives me more insight and understanding towards what the heroine is feeling and gives the character more depth, however Ilana's books are written from a third-person's point-of-view, and I find her writing style easy to understand and relate too.

All That Glitters really was a fantastic, tantalising read for me and I loved it. It had all the ingredients for the perfect beach read or the pick-me-up you need from a horrible day at work. The story is about Ella Albridge, (love the name!) who meets Danny Riding at a beach in Thailand, recovering from a broken heart. Few months later, they get married and Ella's life turns 180 degree for the better. Living with a famous footballer in a lavish mansion with the must-have designer outfits, practically living the dream. It was a real treat to read about the gorgeous couture as Ilana is a fashion connoisseur, hence her eye for fashion.


The heroine in the book, Ella is really warm, down-to-earth, one who keeps her promise and a really likeable character. I loved the drive and determination she had throughout the book to prove that she is not your average WAG, sorry Posh Spice, but Ella is definitely the better WAG. Without giving much away but I have to say, the characters in the book were a thrill to read about. Especially about Johnny Cooper, really made me jump into the happy ending with him!

Ilana's such a fabulous person and her talent in creative writing is spectacular. The plot had me following Ella's normal middle class life sky-rocket to being a WAG, living the dream and glamorous lifestyle. But beware, the pace of the book is rather upbeat so expect to surprised at some parts - some good, some bad - which is contribute to what a great page turner All That Glitters is. The book also brings you into the highly coveted lives of WAGs behind-the-scenes, which was really refreshing. Who knew their husbands would be threatened if their beautiful wives (WAGs) were to be more successful than them?


All That Glitters promises a really fantastic plot, a dazzling cast of characters, an unexpected scandal and the happy ever after every girl deserves. Highly entertaining and utterly addictive. My God, the glitz and glamour of the football world. I loved it and I really hope I will get another chance to read Ilana's future books.


I would like to thank Orion for sending me a copy of this sparkling fun book. And a massive thank you to Ilana in advance for sending me a signed copy!


You can buy the book
here on Amazon or here on Book Depository.

Rating : 5/5

Comments