Book Review : Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan

Title : Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe
Author : Jenny Colgan
Publication date : 25th October 2012
Publisher : Sphere
Source : Sent by the publisher for review, thank you!

Issy Randall, proud owner of The Cupcake Cafe, is in love and couldn’t be happier. Her new business is thriving and she is surrounded by close friends, even if her cupcake colleagues Pearl and Caroline don’t seem quite as upbeat about the upcoming season of snow and merriment. But when her boyfriend Austin is scouted for a possible move to New York, Issy is forced to face up to the prospect of a long-distance romance.

And when the Christmas rush at the cafe – with its increased demand for her delectable creations – begins to take its toll, Issy has to decide what she holds most dear.

This December, Issy will have to rely on all her reserves of courage, good nature and cinnamon, to make sure everyone has a merry Christmas, one way or another. . .

I loved Jenny Colgan's Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe, which is the prequel to Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe. I won it from a giveaway hosted by one of Sphere's publicity managers, and I was so glad I picked it off the catalogue! The thing is, I love baking. Yes, trying out new recipes, the lovely, delicious smell wafting in the air as the yummy cakes cook in the oven. It's heaven. Well, it's hell when you have to clean the mess up, that is.

When I found out about its sequel, I knew I had to get it. But thank God for my job, I could get a review copy! Finally got around to read it, don't ask. Busy schedule, preparation for exams and shitload of assignments. Since I read Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe in April, this year, the story was still fresh in my mind and I could easily pick up the pieces of the story in Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe. But don't panic! Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe could easily stand on its own, if you haven't read its prequel, don't worry. The only thing you're missing is Grandpa Joe and how Issy met Austin.

Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe follows up from where Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe ended, where Issy and Austin are a couple and Issy's cafe is a successful establishment selling the loveliest, daintiest little cakes. Then Austin gets a call to leave for New York, where he is scouted by a top banking firm, and Issy and him are forced to do the long-distance relationship thing. I won't want to give away any more about the book or else Jenny's readers would kill me. That's the thing with Jenny's books, they are lovely little works of art. I admit, the covers are to die for, delightful even! The one thing I loved most about this series is, undoubtedly, Issy Randall.

I loved how Issy carried herself in the book, she's sweet, caring and thoughtful. She's sensitive and sensible. She puts others before her and secretly, I think she'll make a good mum. Master of the kitchen, baker extraordinaire and kindest soul in a home. What's not to love about her? She's a character I'd root for, not only does she bake wonderful cakes but has a big heart! The characters were lovely too, Austin, Issy's boyfriend. He's wonderful and his little brother, Darny with his motormouth, reminds me of myself! Pearl and darling little Louis return in the sequel and also Caroline. Sadly, not Gramps, I miss him though.

Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe has got to be the best Christmas book I've read so far. Don't get your hopes up, Jenny. There are still a few I haven't read but Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe is on top of the list! As if Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe wasn't warm, fun and delightful enough, Jenny decided to add more to the mix - NEW YORK! Amazing setting, as the book was set between London and New York, at Christmas time! Isn't that the best feeling you get when you read a festive novel?

I'm glad to say Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe was a wonderful read, I loved the characters and I enjoyed the recipes in the book which I'm dying to try, if only my exam would zoom by quicker. Snap. It's next week, but the sooner it ends, the sooner I could read more chick lit and bake all I want! Warm as the brownies you bake and light and fluffy as the little angel cakes/cupcakes you love. Perfect for you if you love your book with a cup of hot chocolate and a delicious, light cake.

Rating : 5/5

Comments

  1. I haven't read Christmas At The Cupcake Cafe but you make it sound wonderful. I love the cover with all the Christmas and baking details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't, you must! It's a real Xmas treat! ;) xx

      Delete

Post a Comment