Book Review : The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan by Alison Sherlock

The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan by Alison Sherlock
Published by : Arrow (9th May 2013)

Received a copy for review from the publisher, thank you!

The blurb: 
From riches to rags...

Charley Summers doesn't have a care in the world. She lives in the lap of luxury, supported by her rich husband and surrounded by a loyal group of friends.

Until the business goes bust and her world collapses. Before long the bailiffs have taken everything, and as if things weren't bad enough, she catches her husband with another woman. Suddenly, Charley needs a job, any job, so she can start repaying some of the money her husband squandered.

But with nowhere to live and no recognisable skills, how on earth is she to do that?

Charley needs a survival plan fast! 

What I thought about it:
The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan is the first book I've read by Alison Sherlock, as I received a review copy from the publisher. I was so thrilled to be reviewing this book because: a) the plot sounds really interesting and b) I heart the cover. Don't you?

The book follows the lives of four friends; Charley, the main heroine is caught in a financial rut after her husband's business has gone bust and so it's bye-bye expensive luxuries and hello, real life. Then there's Julie, a single mum struggling to cope with life after her mother's death, Samantha who establishes herself as a vixen and lastly, Caroline who is in want of the perfect family.

Personally, at first I didn't warm up to Charley as she was pretty snobbish and spoilt. I mean, yes. I know she is rich and she is not deprived of the lifestyle she wants, but it was a bit of an eye-opener after reading this book. Money doesn't matter. My heart really did go out to Charley when her "perfect" life started to crumble down. But as she learns about the things that truly matter to her, she changes to become a really admirable and lovable character.

One of the things I really admire about the book is that the bond of friendships shown by all the characters. I am one who treasures friendship and when Charley's life takes a turn for the worse, her friends never left her. They supported each other through thick and thin and that was what made me adore the characters. I can't decide who was my favourite character, mainly because every one of them contributed to the story. So to be fair, I'd say... Boris!

The plot flows very smoothly, with every chapter focusing on all the character. I won't spoil it for you but if you think the characters are having a tough time, it's all because of Alison. She makes her characters work for their happy endings! Alison is able to weave humour into her writing, either I'd be laughing at the silly things her characters say or tutting in disbelief at what they did.

Verdict:
This is a brilliant novel about discovering your passions and believing in yourself. A powerful tale of friendship, ice-cream and more ice-cream. Alison Sherlock has made me want to read her previous book, The Desperate Bride's Diet Club and her future novels because no matter what happens, I know she'd have a soft spot for her characters and you can always count on Alison to brighten your day! I loved it. It made me laugh, swoon and fall in love with the hero!

Rating : 5/5






RACHEL McADAMS as Charley
I love her I love her I love her.












GERALD BUTLER as "The Hero"
"Hi, I'm Gerald Butler". *melts*

Comments

  1. Sounds like a really good book! I'll add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO heart the cover! And Gerard Butler. And Boris is such a cat name. I want a big ginger cat called Boris now.

    Hoping to get my hands on this book some time, it sounds awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment