Book Review : J'Adore Paris by Isabelle Laflèche

J'Adore Paris by Isabelle Laflèche
Published by : HarperCollins Canada (21st May 2013)

Sent by the publisher for review, thank you! 

The blurb:
When chic Parisian lawyer Catherine Lambert lands her dream job as intellectual property director for Christian Dior, she is on top of the world. She’s prepared to embark on the ride of her life in the world of fashion, fighting high-profile legal battles against international counterfeiters. She’ll also be reunited with colleague-turned-boyfriend Antoine in her beloved hometown.

But Catherine’s visions of front-row seats at the couture shows and strolling the Champs-Élysées hand in hand with the love of her life are soon displaced by the realities of dingy police vans and threatening anonymous phone calls. The code of ethics that she knew from mergers and acquisitions does not seem to apply in the nefarious counterfeiting underworld, and Catherine finds her life turned upside-down by surprise meetings in dark alleys and an unexpected degree of notoriety among the criminal element. Will Catherine and her loyal assistant, Rikash, manage to outsmart even the most crooked of characters and come out on top?

After reading J'Adore New York, which was an amazingly thrilling read, I was over the moon when I got the chance to review J'Adore Paris. I mean, J'Adore New York has to be one of my all-time favourites. Set in New York, where every building plays a part in the city that never sleeps and the perfect setting for a fast-paced novel.

J'Adore Paris continues where the first book left off, lawyer Catherine Lambert has landed the dream job, working for Dior Paris handling counterfeit goods and moving to the City of Light with her boyfriend, Antoine. And of course, Rikash, her lovely and supportive assistant-cum-gay best friend. When I received an email from HC Canada, asking if I'd fancy a copy, I said yes! Who would say no to that?

What I thought about it:
Seeing that I really enjoyed and loved J'Adore New York (I polished it off in a day, not showing off!), I was really looking forward to reading Catherine's adventures in Paris. Mainly because I do love Paris and what's not to love when a fabulous book is set in one of the most beautiful cities in the world? Once I started, I knew from the first page, I would love it and I did! I loved J'Adore Paris!

Catherine Lambert is the only heroine I've come across who is French. Seriously, out of all the books I've read in my lifetime, Catherine is the only French heroine whom I felt a spark with. Aside from the chick lit heroines who everyone loves, I felt that Catherine could be really cool, calm and collected yet she could be humble, friendly and totally lovable. Another character I really adored has to be the ever-lovely Rikash. He could do the most uncanny things and still manages to save the day.

The book is loaded with Parisian vibes. It made me want to read out the French words in my (terrible) French accent and feel good about it. "Quelle horror!" "Mon Dieu!" "7th arrondissement"and a few French phrases. It's all good fun though. From chic boutiques to the quaint little cafes that line the pavement. I loved reading about the sights and happening places of Paris. Though you might have to read some dodgy bits which is down to the counterfeit goodies.

The flow of the book is perfectly balanced. From the raids to the sleuthing missions around the world to the little getaway in the book, it had me hooked and wanting more. I felt bereft when I turned the last page, honestly. It's that good. Imagine chick lit with a few twists and action - by action, I really mean ACTION, guns and all. As the book is set in Paris, need I say more about how much I love the setting? Beautiful cobblestone lanes in the city, to the breathtaking south of France. I have to credit Isabelle for describing Paris with flawless details. It made me want to pack up everything I have (including my book collection) and move to Paris forever.

Verdict:
J'Adore Paris was a dazzling read. I really enjoyed every page of this magical book. Isabelle Laflèche has done it again! I adored the characters in the book and the fashion! Couture, vintage, high end! A fashion connoisseur myself, I really fell in love with the Parisian fashion and also the delicious delicacies of Paris!

Another winner by Isabelle Laflèche, highly recommended if you loved the I Heart series by Lindsey Kelk. Splendid book, it was funny, delightful and utterly charming! Beware: you will fall in love with Paris through the eyes of a witty, warm heroine!

Rating : 5/5






LEIGHTON MEESTER as Catherine Lambert.
I love Blair Waldorf and when I read about a French beauty with really gorgeous chocolate brown hair, it had to think of Leighton! As Blair perfected the French accent on Gossip Girl :)













ED WESTWICK as Antoine.
Sexy, brooding Ed makes the perfect Antoine. Read to find out why! Man candy alert! 

Comments

Post a Comment