Book Review : The Longest Holiday by Paige Toon

The Longest Holiday by Paige Toon
Published by : Simon & Schuster UK (25th April 2013)

Received a copy for review from the publisher, thank you!

The blurb:  
'Don't wait for the storm to pass; learn to dance in the rain…'

Laura has been married to the man of her dreams for seven months. But a week before the wedding, Matthew made a terrible mistake.

Escaping the humiliation that is now her marriage, Laura is whisked off to Florida's Key West by her best friend Marty. A carefree holiday full of cocktails and fun, surrounded by gorgeous, tanned men, is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Distraction comes in the form of sexy Cuban scuba diver Leo. Laura's instant attraction to him knocks her flying, and she falls hard.

As the end of the holiday approaches, Laura doesn't want to go home. Is it time to face the music? Or is there more to Key West than a holiday romance?

What I thought about it:
First of all, I'm a massive fan of Paige Toon. I have every single one of her books, which I adore and she's definitely one of my favourite go-to authors. Whether I'm bored or just aching to read something really romantic and funny, I'd skim through the pages of her books. There's something about her books that will fulfil your needs, whether you want to fantasise about an exotic holiday destination or fall in love with characters and be swept away by the romantic love story, Paige Toon is the word.

The thing about Ms Toon's books is that they are really relatable. You will root for her heroines from page one and can't help but fall head over heels for her heroes. The Longest Holiday follows the story of Laura, do you remember her? If you've read Chasing Daisy, Laura was the childhood sweetheart of the dashingly handsome Will Trust who died. Now, starring in her own story, she's the lead in The Longest Holiday, where she flies off to Key West to clear her head and decide on the biggest decisions in her life. 

To be honest, I really liked Laura. Though she was the ex-fiancée of a deceased celebrity, she's still a normal person and deep down, she's been through a lot - death of her former lover and dealing with the media and all that. For me, Laura was a really strong character which you'll warm up to immediately. At times, I wish she'd shut up because she has the tendency to say things she's not meant to but that's what makes you like her. She's human. It's not a Paige Toon novel without a love triangle. This time, it's between Laura, Leo the sexy Cuban diver and her husband Matthew who has made a really massive mistake. I won't spoil it for you, but do join me if you're on Team Leo!

No matter how predictable and clichéd some stories are, they always draw you into reading them. Trust me, I could probably tell you a few things about how things will pan out for some novels as everything falls in the same sequence. However, when it comes to Paige's novels, she's rather skilled at writing her stories with the element of surprise. Why do I say so? Because it's all part of the flow, you follow the story well and you're almost towards the end, then BAM!, you're struck by her brilliance that will make you gasp and really anxious to find out what happens.

Verdict:
Undoubtedly, one of my utmost favourite books by Paige so far. I was incredibly fond of the characters in the book, the setting of the book - Key West - really made me want to pack up my bag and fly all the way there to learn how to scuba dive and explore the beautifully tranquil aquatic life of the Atlantic Ocean.

Pure escapism with the right blend of romance and friendship. Perfect for you if you're looking for an author whose books you want to treasure and share it with your friends. Absolutely pure enjoyment - I loved every page of it!

Rating : 5/5

 




BLAKE LIVELY as Laura
I've always got a thing for Blake when it comes to blond heroines!













CHANNING TATUM as Leo
I know, he's not Cuban or remotely close to a Hispanic/Latino male, but he's hot and utterly charming. Need I say more?

Comments