Book Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

US cover
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Published by: St Martin's Press (12th Sept 2013)/MacMillan's Children Books (30th Jan 2014)

Bought a copy on Boxing Day!

Blurb:
Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to. Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

I urge you to get a copy now! If you're in the US, click here! For UK readers, here! 

Introducing my utmost favourite book, ever! It's FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell! I can't tell you how much I adored this book. Like, I flipping loved it. I did. I wanted to cuddle it in bed and bring it everywhere I go. But I didn't. People might think I'm mad, I'm not mad - only madly in love with Fangirl and everything about it. OK, I sound like such a fanboy now.

Fangirl follows the story of Cather Avery who goes to college with her twin sister, Wren. Both sisters are massive "fangirls" of Simon Snow (a Harry Potter-esque series) but Wren is ready to give it up in order to fit into college. Cath is not. Cath is famous for writing Simon Snow fanfiction and has a following. But can Cath juggle writing fanfiction, college life and caring for her father? When a certain handsome, blonde upperclassman enters her life, he's the only distraction she needs.

Oh my gosh. I loved Fangirl so much, I read it again after finishing it for the first time. Although some might argue that it is actually a YA novel, I like to think of it as a New Adult! Or maybe an "in between" book, perfect for youths like me! But rest assured, it appeals to all demographics. Since the hype for New Adult novels began, I was a bit put off by some so-called NA books, I was almost sick of the genre. But Fangirl made me fall in love with the genre again.

UK cover
The protagonist, Cath Avery is the most relatable character I've come across. A brilliant main character who will definitely have readers root for her, I can't believe at times how I would be just like Cath! There's a party and everyone is going, but why should I when I have awesome things to do, like read or write fanfiction or.. have Emergency Dance Parties! Fangirl discusses every person's experience as a fresh-faced college student, where everything is new to you and you're insecure and most of the time, feeling like an outsider, trying to fit in. The characters were fantastically written. There's the party girl, the rebel, the guy who always smiles, the twat that steals your answers. Just an amazing repertoire of characters. And Levi Stewart! Tall, lanky, adorable and annoyingly cute. I fell for him. I'm sure you will too! Think: hottest guy you've ever met, super sweet and nice. Did your heart melt? Yep. Mine did! Especially when Levi said "You know that I'm falling for you, right?". My. Heart. Stopped. And. Melted. I. Died.

I was so hooked and absorbed into the plot, the pages just went by all too quickly! I couldn't get enough of Fangirl and I was gutted when I flipped the last page! Such a roller coaster of a book! And every chapter starts off with a parable - genius! Rainbow Rowell's creativity at creating a fictional fandom has really paid off and she has no doubt created a frenzy. I even Googled "Fangirl Rainbow Rowell fanfiction" and I was not surprised to find loads of it!

I know this review of mine can never do the book justice, but I feel like I have to try. Words cannot describe how much I enjoyed this book and it's one hell of a book. A wonderfully written love story on epic proportions with a heroine you would want to root for, just because she's reminds you so much of yourself. Funny, bursting with humour and witty remarks and adorable girl-meets-boy romance. One minute you'll be laughing and smiling at the pages, the next you will be swooning and sighing and wishing that you have boyfriend like Levi. Utterly unputdownable with the right sass and wit. If you'll excuse me, I'll have to station myself strategically in bookstores so I can ambush shoppers to get Fangirl.

Rating: 10/10


Comments

  1. I loved this book. It started a little slow until I could give it my full attention. Then it just kept getting better and better until its satisfying end. All of the characters were wonderfully developed and interesting. The dialogue was fresh. The story was much more complex than I thought it would be at the beginning. I would like another book with these same characters. Can't wait to read her other books now.
    Harriman NY Maid Service website

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment