Book Review: The Vintage Girl by Hester Browne

The Vintage Girl by Hester Browne
Publisher: Quercus (13th Feb 2014)

Received a copy for review from the publisher.

Blurb:
When Evie Nicholson is asked to visit Kettlesheer Castle in Scotland to archive the family heirlooms, she jumps at the chance. Evie’s passion for antiques means that, for her, the castle is a treasure trove of mysteries just waiting to be uncovered.

But in each heirloom lies a story, and in the course of her investigations Evie stumbles upon some long-buried family secrets. Add handsome, gloomy heir Robert McAndrew and a traditional candlelit gala to the mix and Evie’s heart is sent reeling with an enthusiasm that may just extend beyond the Kettlesheer silver...

I’ve always been a fan of Hester Browne’s books since I read The Runaway Princess two years back. Since then, I bought every single one of Hester’s books and I’m happy to announce that my collection of her books is complete! I’ve finally read the last one I’ve missed, which is The Vintage Girl (published in the US as Swept Off Her Feet).

In The Vintage Girl, readers are introduced to Evie Nicholson, a thirty-year-old antiques shop dealer who has a penchant for all things vintage and old, but so what if they are old and covered in dust? Evie loves the history, the heritage and glamour of the vintage goods and she’s clinging on to the previous owners’ stories. When a chance of a lifetime lands on her feet, Evie jumps at it, and boy, will she be swept off her feet!

As far as heroines go, I think I really related to Evie a lot. I mean, she’s such a hopeless romantic, it’s actually quite endearing when she finds the story in everything, from priceless antiques to old postcards - she’s a firm believer of love stories and happy endings. Since I’m such a sucker for all that, I could relate to her easily. Other than Evie, the characters in the book are a wonderful bunch and I warmed up to them immediately, especially the residents in Kettlesheer, which includes the kooky lord of the manor, Duncan and his timid but sweet wife, Ingrid. And let’s not forget their son, Robert, who is rather very Darcy-esque!

Well, what can you say about a book which is set in the idyllic Scottish border, with the breathtaking views and country air and palatial manor? Rings a bell, huh? Jane Austen. Regency England. Can anyone beat a good romantic love story like one inspired by one of the greatest novelist of all time? No. I could easily say that fans of Jane Austen would definitely enjoy this little gem.

The Vintage Girl is undeniably a very romantic, feel-good love story with unexpected surprises and swoon-worthy moments! A rare find, this book, and one that you’ll adore if you’re a vintage items maven and lover of a love stories and happy endings as well as grand, romantic gestures. I loved it!

Rating: 9/10

Reese Witherspoon would be the perfect Evie and Bradley Cooper is definitely Robert for me!

Comments