Review - Lobsters by Tom Allen and Lucy Ivison

LobstersLobsters by Tom Allen and Lucy Ivison
Publisher: Chicken House (5th Jun 2014)

Blurb:
Sam and Hannah only have the holidays to find 'The One'.

Their lobster.

But instead of being epic, their summer is looking awkward. They must navigate social misunderstandings, the plotting of well-meaning friends, and their own fears of being virgins for ever to find happiness.

But fate is at work to bring them together. And in the end, it all boils down to love.

If you don’t know who Jess from Jess Hearts Books is, I strongly recommend you to check out her blog. She’s my go-to girl when I need recommendations for Young Adult books and so far, she’s been a really sweetheart. I've thoroughly enjoyed Fangirl, where her review compelled me to pick it up. So after reading Jess’s review of Lobsters, I knew I had to read it.

Lobsters is written by a dynamic duo, who consist of Tom Allen and Lucy Ivison. The book is dual-narrative, between the socially-awkward Sam and incredibly likeable Hannah, who are both virgins and still looking for their “lobsters”. They only have a summer before Uni starts, are they willing to risk everything to be each other’s lobsters and what will happen when summer is over?

I can’t begin to explain how much I really loved this book. This fantastic coming-of-age novel is perfect for everyone who is dying for a love story with a twist. OK, scratch that. Make that, A LOT of twists. Sam and Hannah’s love story is not like any other I've read. There were many opportunities for them to get together and I was so frustrated when they missed their chances. Heck, I even shouted “NO!” a couple of times.

Tom Allen and Lucy Ivison have different and unique writing voices and they really worked for me, especially with the dual-narratives. Funny, sharp and edgy, I cannot stop giggling and smiling when I read Lobsters. I thought the plot was just right and it wasn't too elaborate and complicated. I liked reading about how they met a few times and had their “almost” moments but there’s always something in the way. Then gradually these meetings will become more often and finally Fate steps aside and stops meddling.

I would definitely recommend Lobsters to anyone who loves a good, romantic story between two teenagers who have never been in love, but are willing to take the plunge and fall in love. Tom Allen and Lucy Ivison’s debut novel is one of my favourite British YA books of all time – it kept me guessing and I couldn't stop reading it. I HAD to get to the ending. Lobsters brilliantly captures the story of first loves and first times, honest and incredibly funny, I loved it! I am now eagerly waiting for their next book, who’s with me?

Lobster is out now on paperback and eBook and available at good bookstores (it's available here in Malaysia and I reckon it should be available elsewhere. Are you excited for this dynamic duo's next book? Say "Yasss, gawd" if you are!

Comments