[Top Ten Tuesday #7] Books that Feature Sassy Characters

Oh, ffs. It's about time I did a Top Ten Tuesday post. I am so behind on blogging and I hate myself for this.


Can you believe that this is my first TTT post of 2017? I can't deal with myself. Someone put me in the corner, I am so upset with myself.


Miranda glare

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature which was started by the amazing ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish! Go check them out and do participate in the upcoming TTT!



This week's topic is "Ten Books that Feature Characters ____________________" and I've decided to go with sassy characters because we LOVE them. (Or at least,  I do.)





I have a self-proclaimed goldfish memory. Therefore, most of the books featured on this list are books I've read this year. I loved these books and the list is in no particular order so here goes!


Cinder

Iko from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer


I adored the loveable, sass queen that is Iko when I was reading Marissa Meyer's stellar series. Iko is an android with a heart of gold and who is willing to go all the way to protect her friends. And she is one sassy pineapple sparkle, I tell you.


mlj

Jane Grey from My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand and Jodi Meadows


My Lady Jane was one of my ultimate favourite books in 2016 and I lived for Jane Grey and her sassy ass quips on the social norms and expectations on a woman in the 17th century. When she can't be fucked, you can find her sitting in the corner, reading and ignoring the fuck out of you. This me.


wdmr

Dimple from When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon


One of the reasons why When Dimple Met Rishi made such an impact on me was because of Dimple. I loved that she was bold, brave and not afraid of speaking her mind. And she does have a good hand at chucking coffee at you! It was so much fun reading how relatable her life is.


RPP

Crazy Rich Asians trilogy by Kevin Kwan


I can't exactly pinpoint who was the sass queen/king in Kevin Kwan's Crazy Rich Asians trilogy because practically everyone served a delicious serving of sass. When in doubt, just point fingers at the loud-mouthed aunties! I hold Kevin Kwan's books close to my heart because they are hilarious and so relatable!


acowar

Inner Circle from A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas


The second book in the trilogy introduced a wonderful cast of characters to the much-loved series. I adore the banter and good-natured shade throwing among the members of the Inner Circle, especially Cassian because we need more characters like him. It was wonderful reading the part where he got his ass handed to him by Nesta, another queen of sass.


TECOGL

Genie Lo from The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee


I don't think there's a character I could relate to more than I do with Genie Lo. Smart, witty and sassy, Genie established herself as a force to be reckoned with. I had such a thrill reading The Epic Crush of Genie Lo and I enjoyed every moment of it because the narration was A+ and the banter between Genie and Quentin had me cackling!


AAFLJ

Kitty Song from All the Boys I've Loved Before series by Jenny Han


If you've read Jenny Han's Lara Jean books, you might have come across a little whirlwind of sass called Katherine "Kitty" Song, the youngest of the Song sisters. I would definitely describe her a fiercely loyal Slytherin because who doesn't love a younger sister who has your back no matter what. Especially when the boy you loved ends up hurting you and she's got her claws out, ready to protect you. Man, I miss Kitty.


ACOL

Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab


I loved the characters in V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic books. Especially Lila Bard who is all kinds of badass and her sassy one-liners had me gagging. I lived for Rhy and Alucard's banter as well because who doesn't love a charismatic male character who makes inappropriate dick jokes at the wrong times? I do.


acow

Gauri from A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi


Oh, I remember why I loved A Crown of Wishes because I was thoroughly entertained from page one to the end. I loved Gauri and the book features the "hate to love" trope which I loved. Gauri is one savage sass queen. Especially when she's feeling her fantasy as a boss ass queen and throwing shade at poor Vikram. I was living!


THG

Lucy and Josh from The Hating Game by Sally Thorne


I don't usually read contemporary romance these days but I picked up The Hating Game because I wanted something I could lose myself in for a few hours. And boy, I was in for a ride because right from the start, Lucy and Josh were savage af with each other and I was like, "Damnnnnnnn, this shit is good." and I love the whole "hate to love" trope which made the book even more enjoyable. Expect one-liners that are harsh, crass and full of sass.



Have you read any of the books on the list? What do you think about sassy characters? Let me know!


kevin

Comments

  1. I love characters that are sassy! You've picked some amazing choices this week. Iko is one of my favourites. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning to read Cinder and Jenny Hann's books. Been hearing great things about them. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. EPIC CRUSH OF GENIE LO! Love this book! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Judith! Such a great book. I can’t wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely should. They are both amazing series that got me into reading YA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me neither! I just hope it stands up to the first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iko is the bomb! I love her, and I have the strongest urge to reread the series so I could laugh at all the hilarious things she says!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Genie Lo is amazing and everyone needs to read that book. So happy to see it on your list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's definitely one of my favourites this year. So funny, relatable and Quentin is such a babe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! Gauri and Lila are one of my favorite YA protagonists (mostly because of their sass)💙 I've been wanting to read My lady Jane and The Epic Crush since forever and this makes me want to get to them sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Dimple was a very sassy character. Good choice there.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAS MIRANDA PRIESTLY GIF! But omg, Kevin, you totally sold me on My Lady Jane. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! You should really check it out. It is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should read them soon! Jane is my spirit animal on so many levels! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’ll be sure to check out yours! I loved Dimple. I can’t wait for Sandhya’s next book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Shades of Magic books, there's sass all round! And yes, the Inner Circle are so sassy, made ACOMAF so much more enjoyable for me than ACOTAR. Iko was my favourite character in Cinder for this very reason!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/26/top-ten-tuesday-126/

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you agree with me! Checking out your TTT now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh YES for all the sassy characters, love them so much! I love that you mentioned Iko, she is one of my favorite characters of ALL times, she's just so much fun. I agree on Dimple, just as well, I loved how she always spoke her mind and did not let anyone walk all over her. What a fantastic character. <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad that Marissa Meyer gave Iko her own series. Even though it’s a graphic novel series but still. I love Iko and her sassy robotic ass.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes, I'm so glad as well. I can't WAIT for the second graphic novel to be released :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish it would be a full novel in the future because god, we need more Iko!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am all about the sass. Iko remains to be one of my favourite characters. Her sassy comments were always perfectly timed and had me laughing out loud most of the time. I really need to read her graphic novel. The entire cast of the Shades of Magic series have golden sassy moments. Some of their one liners stole the show and also brought some light hearted moments to scenes that were getting a bit too heavy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love a good sassy character! These are going on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  24. omg Lila had some of the best lines in a Darker Shade of Magic, she literally made me laugh out loud

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was so happy with The Epic Crush of Genie Lo - definitely a favorite of this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I read the first of the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy and I have to agree. So. Much. Sass. aha!! It was so great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. GAH I want to read My Lady Jane so bad (why haven't I?!) But i agree with so many on here... Cinder, Lara Jean, Genie Lo, so sassy!! <3 I did diverse characters TBR... http://wp.me/p3LRfZ-5Hj

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! I liked Dimple, too!. Great list and idea for this week :)
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I shall check yours out! You should totally read My Lady Jane. I loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Are you excited for the movie? Planning to pick up the rest of the trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
  31. One of the best characters in fantasy, in my opinion. So confident and badass.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love Iko with all my heart because she’s the true star of the series!

    Are you excited for the upcoming Shades of Magic spin-off?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my goodness, I didn’t know it was going to be a movie!! I haven’t decided about reading the other two yet!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am beyond excited. I had a feeling we'd be getting one since A Conjuring of Light dropped a few possible plot lines to follow and I am so ready to explore more of that world. :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. One of my favourites this year, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You should. They are just as outlandish and silly and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It’s all very exciting since we’d have new characters as well as old. It’d be like a reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I cannot wait until I read The Epic Crush of Genie Lo! I keep hearing all of these good things about this Genie Lo girl and I so need to sip this tea! YASSS Inner Circle, you already know how I feel about my babies. Lila is hands down one of my favorite characters of ALL time. I also think Iko was the ultimate shade queen, and Dimple is my homegirl. This list is definitely accurate af.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment