Book Review : 50 Ways To Find A Lover by Lucy-Anne Holmes

Title : 50 Ways To Find A Lover
Author : Lucy-Anne Holmes
Publication Date : April 2009
Publisher : Pan MacMillan
 Source : Purchased

Rating : 5/5


I feel like a failure. It’s now been 351 days since I had sex. That’s a carnal drought. If Bob Geldof knew about it he’d hold a concert.

Sarah Sargeant has been single for three years and nine months. She has just spent five months plucking up the courage to ask out a balding man with a paunch who works in her local pub. The gentleman in question informed her that he would rather stay in and watch the Narnia movie on DVD. Her pride has not just been bruised, it’s been disembowelled. And she vows it’s the last time she will ever reach out to a member of the opposite sex.
But her family and friends have other ideas. They enter her into a reality TV show against her will, persuade her to go speed dating and even more radically, they encourage her to start a blog. Suddenly Sarah Sargeant is on a mission.
A mission to explore 50 Ways To Find A Lover.

There’s something about Lucy-Anne Holmes’s writing that makes me love her books, the way her words flow, it makes me genuinely laugh. I don’t know how she does it, but to me, it feels like Lucy’s speaking to me through her books, and not many authors have the ability to do that. I really enjoy Lucy-Anne Holmes’s books, really loved them. So far, I’ve only read 50 Ways To Find A Lover and Unlike A Virgin, both were fantastic. I’ve looked high and low for Lucy’s debut novel, but much to my chagrin, I couldn’t find it anywhere in my country. Then, the weekend before last, I went to the City and had a little look-see in Kinokuniya, which was heaven for all book aficionados. I spotted it and headed to the counter to claim it as rightfully mine. Thank God I did because the chick lit section was bustling with people after I paid for it. Talk about luck, huh?

So I started almost immediately and I. LOVED. IT. Yes, I love it. You see, there are only a handful of authors who I adore, namely Sophie Kinsella, Lindsey Kelk, LUCY-ANNE HOLMES, Molly Hopkins and Ali McNamara. Any books by these author immediately makes it to my must-read list, anytime. After the first page, I knew I loved Sarah Sargeant, as she was such a lovable, funny and absolutely perfect chick lit heroine. I really wanted to know her more, just like how I see some people and I think to myself, “I want to know that person!”. So Sarah is single, has not had a guy in bed with her for 351 days and an aspiring actress but works as a waitress instead. Then she starts a blog, and goes on quests like speed dating, pulling at men at bars, all of which were incredibly amusing.

The characters in the book were really lovely and supportive. I warmed up to Simon, Sarah’s flatmate almost immediately, though he was with some snob Ruth, I knew there was something in store for my liking. Besides him, there’s Julia, Sarah’s best friend who is just amazing. I’d want a best friend like her, and thankfully, mine is as supportive and lovely as Julia. I really liked her parents too, who were really sweet by encouraging her to go on the reality TV show and also her blog, though there might be some bits which are inappropriate, I’d appreciate my parents’ support. What am I bickering about now? Ahh, I forgot about Paul. Now, that’s a real man. Seriously, he was such a bloody charmer, I loved how he wooed Sarah, nearly had me rooting for him too.

Anyway, Sarah’s unbelievably funny and warm personality really carried the book very well, I really enjoyed the flow of the book as it was a real treat to read about Sarah’s sexcapades which were laugh-out-loud hilarious. I was really sad that this heart-tickling novel had to end. I know I might sound cliche, but I REALLY HOPE IT DIDN’T END. It was so good to finally read Lucy’s books. It’s been a terribly long while since I’ve had so much fun reading it. I loved every bit of it and I’m again, searching high and low for the sequel, The Imperfect Girlfriend. Because 50 Ways To Find A Lover was awesome, I loved it, I loved it. I WILL read it again, I promise. Follow Lucy on Twitter (@LucyAnneHolmes).

Comments