Book Review : I Heart New York by Lindsey Kelk

Title : I Heart New York
Author : Lindsey Kelk
Release date : 25th June 2009 (Paperback)
Publisher : Harper
Source : Bought

Rating : 5/5

It’s official. Angela Clarke is in love – with the most fabulous city in the world.
Fleeing her cheating boyfriend and clutching little more than a crumpled bridesmaid dress, a pair of Louboutins and her passport, Angela jumps on a plane, destination – NYC.
Holed up in a cute hotel room, Angela gets a Hollywood makeover from her NBF, Jenny and a whirlwind tour of the city that never sleeps. Before she knows it, Angela is dating two sexy guys. And, best of all, she gets to write about it in her new blog (Carrie Bradshaw eat your heart out). But it’s one thing telling readers about your romantic dilemmas, it’s another figuring them out for yourself …
Angela has fallen head over heels for the big apple, but does she heart NYC more than home?

When I started reading chick lit, I have never heard of Lindsey Kelk (sorry, Lindsey!). Then when I was looking for debut authors, as I am a big fan of debut authors, I saw Lindsey’s I Heart New York. The immediate effect on me was, the lovely cover! I have never seen any covers in the market with such bright, attractive colours. I think IHNY has really done that, as I bought it. Yes, I did. I read the first chapter and I was already hooked. I loved Angela immediately!
I Heart New York focuses on Angela Clark, who caught her fiance, Mark the stupid scumbag with an itchy crotch, shagging a tart in their car. I was surprised by Mark’s reaction, the bugger was not even shocked to see Angie! Then she ruins her best friend’s wedding and fast forward, she’s in JFK. I really like how the story started with a quick, upbeat pace. It doesn’t pull you through boring bits and has a really great flow. I knew what to expect when she reached New York; get lost, broke and heartbroken. But I was wrong. Very wrong indeed.

She meets Jenny, her NBF(New Best Friend, I think.), and gets herself sorted out with a killer makeover, thanks to Jenny the amazing. And with that, I really liked Jenny’s presence, a very much helpful and supportive friend. Hmmm, I wonder where are the Jennys in the world. Anyway, the readers  get to experience Manhattan in the eyes of Angela as the book was written from her point of view, much to my liking. Lindsey really did a stunning job; drawing a beautiful picture of Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building to readers. I was so tempted to hop on the plane to NYC, but I don’t think that was possible. For that, I am envious of Angela.
With her NBF, Jenny by her side for moral support and killer makeover, Angie lands 2 gorgeous guys in the Big Apple; there’s Tyler, also known as “Wall Street” and Alex, who is “Brooklyn”. She gets into a whirlwind of love and best of all, she gets to brag about it in her blog, “The Adventures of Angela Clark”. I really enjoy her new life in New York, much to most of the readers on Goodreads’ disapproval, it was fun to read, very light and definitely makes chick lit what it is. The characters were really likable and although Tyler turned out to be a total male organ, he could easily win “Most Charming Date”. But I still like Alex more. Yes, the skinny lead singer of Stills. Man alive, he’s one smoking hot guy.

Overall, this book was really fun to get wrapped up in. It’s funny, light and could easily match up against Sophie Kinsella’s. And, yes. I did compare Lindsey to Sophie, and I dare say I Heart New York is as good as the Shopaholic books. Lindsey is a very inspiring author and I just want to walk in her footsteps. If you’re looking for something fresh and laughable, I Heart New York is perfect for you. I really hope you’ll enjoy it very much as I did, very very much. In fact, I loved it!
If you enjoyed I Heart New York, follow Angela’s adventures, as she goes to Hollywood (I Heart Hollywood), Paris (I Heart Paris) and Vegas (I Heart Vegas), which will be releasing on the 8th of December. To get to know Lindsey better, follow her on Twitter at @LindseyKelk. She’s a Twitter addict, all right. Sorry again, Lindsey.

Comments