Book Review : Miracle on Regent Street by Ali Harris

Title : Miracle On Regent Street
Author : Ali Harris
Release date : 13th October 2011
Publisher : Simon & Schuster Ltd.
Source : Purchased

Rating : 4.5/5

Dreams can come true – it could happen to you…For the past two years, Evie Taylor has lived an invisible existence in London, a city she hoped would bring sparkle to her life. But all that is about to change. For winter has brought a flurry of snow and unexpected possibilities. Hidden away in the basement of Hardy’s – once London’s most elegant department store – Evie manages the stockroom of a shop whose glory days have long since passed. When Evie overhears that Hardy’s is at risk of being sold, she secretly hatches a plan. If she can reverse the store’s fortunes by December 26th – three weeks away – and transform it into a magical destination once again, she might just be able to save it. But she’s going to need every ounce of talent and determination she has. In fact, she’s going to need a miracle.

In October, I was looking for books to read and review and sadly, there weren’t many. Not that they aren’t many released, but terribly scarce in my local bookstore. I saw the review for Miracle On Regent Street on Chicklit Club and Chick Lit Reviews, both praising Ali’s debut novel. I seemed to be envious of them, so I waited to read it when it’s available in Malaysia. 2 months later, as I was shopping for Christmas, I saw MORS in Popular and I knew I had to have it. So I bought it without a moment’s hesitation and started on it the following day. I can’t deny that the synopsis had caught my interest and I was looking forward for loads of festivities and warmth Christmas in the book has to offer. The one thing I like most is shopping and this book really capture the true essence every shopping centre had to offer, from the high-class service, to the fabulous merchandises.

The book is split into the days before Christmas and I was really impressed how Ali had managed to divide the story into different parts, not dragging the readers through boring bits. I liked how the story flowed, getting to know the heroine, Evie Taylor and her colleagues. What bothered me most was her anonymity at work, as the stockroom girl. Her colleagues from the shop floor think she is Sarah, the previous stockroom girl and the mere fact of using her as their personal vent of their problems made me pretty pissed off. I didn’t appreciate how they treated her with not much respect like she’s a minority who manages the stockroom. Aside from that, I admired Evie’s passion and love for Hardy’s, a magical store for her and her family. After catching wind of the store’s closure, she decided to revamp the store to its former glory and her determination really had me going.
Even though I don’t celebrate Christmas, I’ve always thought it is a wonderful and warm celebration, in contrast to the snow. I really enjoyed Evie’s contribution to Hardy’s and her beloved friend, Lily from the tea room. Thank God someone had the heart to treat her properly. There’s also Felix the guard, Sam the delivery boy and the Polish cleaners. Instead of being a spoiler, I’ll let you read it to love it. Every chick lit book must have its romances, Evie had to choose between Joel, the handsome American with tonnes of cash or Sam, the sweet and reliable friend with a heart of gold. At the end, she ends up with the one who loves her for who she really is. You’ll have to read it to find out! If you ask me, who Evie ends up with is totally unexpected. Really. Other than the lovey-dovey part, I liked how original and real Evie is, she doesn’t like flashy, modern and minimalistic clothes, but elegant vintage glamour, especially The Wardrobe!
This is a very wonderful read for those who wants a heartwarming tale of finding yourself and fighting for what you love. Ali Harris has written this book cleverly with a beautiful flair; her own writing voice. MORS will be a fabulous addition to your bookshelf and you won’t regret reading it. I know I don’t. Ali will be releasing her next novel, The First Last Kiss in January 2013. Oh, so long!

Comments

Post a Comment