Book Review : Chasing Daisy by Paige Toon

Title : Chasing Daisy
Author : Paige Toon
Publication date : 6th July 2009
Publisher : Pocket Books
Source : Purchased

Rating : 5/5

If you fall too fast, you just might crash...Daisy has been dumped, unceremoniously jilted. Not by any ordinary guy, no...Daisy has a secret in her past that she won't even tell her best friend, Holly. She's given up on men - and on her own family. But life still has to be lived and where better to recover than as far away from home as possible. Grabbing a chance to see the world, Daisy packs her bags and joins the team catering to the world's highest-paid, supercharged racing drivers on the Formula 1 Grand Prix circuit.

From Brazil to Italy, from Melbourne to Monte Carlo, life passes in a dizzying whirlwind. But nothing - and no one - can stop Daisy from falling again...this time for a man who is prepared to risk his life, and his heart, for the sake of speed, danger and ultimate success.

I hadn't got a clue who Paige Toon was before I came across a review of her new book, One Perfect Summer. Shame on me, I know, personally, I think she's one of the pioneers who helped formed chick lit, as it is today. I know this because I Googled her. Shame on me, again! Okay, I read Chasing Daisy in more or less 24 hours. Which means.. I LOVED IT! I actually devoured this delicious slice of chick lit that is Chasing Daisy by Paige Toon! At first it was the 50 pages which I devoured at the first go, then I stayed up till 4am in the morning to finish it, I know, I'm mental but this is my first.

I loved how down-to-earth and humble Daisy was, she's a real chick lit heroine, if you ask me. I read the prologue and about 3 pages later, I couldn't stop! I have to say, she's a feisty girl, especially with her Italian heritage, which I found most amusing as she swears in Italian. I've got to say, she is really funny, the way she could use her profanities. I warmed up to this lovely heroine immediately, really captivated by the story she had to tell, Chasing Daisy is written from Daisy's point of view, which gave me more understanding to her emotions and thoughts. At the early stages of the book, I didn't know her background as she was really secretive about it, her being in the States with someone famous and she had to leave to mend her broken heart and all. I was in a surreal blur as I didn't read Paige's previous books, which has a link to Daisy's story. One of the things that fascinated me most about Paige's books is that her characters tend to make a cameo appearance in other books! In Chasing Daisy, Johnny Jefferson from Johnny Be Good graced readers with his presence. (Sorry for the spoiler!)

Aside from Daisy, I liked her best friend, Holly who works alongside her as front-of-house girls in the Formula 1 circuit. I was really surprised to see my country, Malaysia and also our neighbouring country, Singapore to be mentioned in the novel! Hurrah! Seeing that Sepang is an international circuit. Holly was a good supporting character, very warm and caring. On the other hand, there was Luis, who was a complete arse at the early stages of the book but throughout the book, I began to warm up to him, gradually. Towards the end, I actually adored Luis as he was really caring towards Daisy, which came as a surprise! Well, a good book will not be good without a love triangle! There was Will, really handsome, dashing, sweet and charming, but he has a girlfriend, Laura (Paige is writing her next book, starring her, Tell Laura I Love Her).

The flow of the book was really upbeat, really good pace, not dull and draggy. I loved how Paige describes city after city through Daisy's eyes, which I found really real and had to refrain myself from packing my luggage and off to KLIA to follow the rush of adrenalin Formula 1 has to offer! Australia.. Monte Carlo.. Malaysia.. Singapore.. Bahrain.. China.. Sao Paolo.. I was really glad I bought this book and had the chance to read what Paige has to offer. There's a twist in the plot that shocked me and left me dumbfounded. It was a very clever twist in the plot by Paige which caught me off guard as Daisy's life was getting rosy and BAM! Shocking news!

All in all, I absolutely loved it! It was classic, old-school chick lit which is the best form of women's fiction for me. I loved it. I can't help but dream of reading it again! I loved it! How many times have I said it? I LOVED IT. I am officially announcing it on my blog that my new FAVOURITE AUTHOR IS PAIGE TOON. Period. I have Lucy in the Sky, Johnny Be Good and One Perfect Summer coming my way. So excited! Follow Paige on Twitter (@PaigeToonAuthor), she's lovely!

Comments