Book Review : Johnny Be Good by Paige Toon

Title : Johnny Be Good
Author : Paige Toon
Publication date : 21st April 2008
Publisher : Pocket Books
Source : Purchased


Rating : Sparkling 5/5!


If your boss was the hottest rock star on the planet, would you mix business with pleasure?

I'm Meg Stiles. This is my leaving party. And that song we're making a mockery of? That's written by one of the biggest rock stars in the world. And I'm moving in with him tomorrow. Seriously! I am not even joking. Well, maybe I'm misleading you a little bit. You see, I haven't actually met him yet ...No, I'm not a stalker. I'm his new PA. His Personal Assistant. And I am off to La-La Land. Los Angeles. The City of Angels - whatever you want to call it - and I can't bloody believe it!

Celebrity PA to wild boy of rock Johnny Jefferson, Meg's glam new life in sun-drenched LA is a whirlwind of showbiz parties and backstage passes. Cool, calm Christian, in town to write his famous friend's biography, helps keep Meg's feet firmly on the ground. But with Johnny's piercing green eyes and a body Brad Pitt would kill for, how long will it be before she's swept right off them again?

Paige Toon has become my newly favourite author, no doubt. After reading Chasing Daisy and One Perfect Summer, I knew I had to get every single one of her books, whether I'm broke or not. Her books are as good as Sophie Kinsella's and I think she should be signed a hardback deal, seeing that all her books have been paperbacks. I've done some researching on Johnny Be Good and decided that it was imperative to get it. So I did...

The moment I started, I was engrossed with the book, I finished it in 2 days! 2 days! That's how long it takes for me to finish a book I absolutely enjoyed! The book started off when Meg's friends were throwing her a farewell party, where she explained her departure to Los Angeles to work for one of the hottest men on the planet, Johnny Jefferson. I have to admit, I warmed up to Meg Stiles immediately. I love Paige Toon's heroines, they are so lovable, down-to-earth and basically, who I'd root for. Meg was a really efficient PA to a famous architect back in London, so you can imagine her being organised, professional and tidy. Well, yes, she was. Paige actually made me like, scratch that, love Meg. She was a character I'd want to be best friends with! (The amount of chick lit heroines who I claim to be BFFs with is still under 10, if you're wondering.) I pictured Blake Lively (Serena van der Woodsen on Gossip Girl) to be Meg, Chris Evans (CAPTAIN AMERICAAAAA!) as Johnny and Zachary Levi (Chuck Bartowski in Chuck) as Christian, I know, I'm a tit.

Aside from Meg, the other characters in the book were a really great addiction to the story. There's Johnny, the bad boy rock star with piercing green eyes and who Meg claims to look like Brad Pitt. But he was more of a Chris Evan to me, sorry Meg! I thought what Johnny and Meg had was special till he proved to her that he was a total womaniser, unfortunately, but he made a really good presence in the book. Then there's Christian, Johnny's best friend from home (Johnny and Christian were born in Newcastle). To me, I thought Christian was a better figure a hero compared to Johnny, as he was just how a proper gentleman should be; fun, caring, charming, sweet and thoughtful.

Another thing I knew I would love about the book is that, the setting of it in Los Angeles, such a fantastic place to read about. Most probably because I'm a sick Hollywood celeb nutcase, but that's not the point. Back to the book, Paige wrote so well about La La Land, from the beautiful Hollywood Hills, to the forever-summer beaches of Santa Monica. But sorry to say, LA, but my favourite cities in the world don't include you, there's only London, Paris, Rome, NYC and Sydney. I have to give it to Paige to actually fly to Los Angeles to "research" and she did one hell of a job. Her description of the City of Angels was so clear, so vivid that I actually imagined it very well in my head. Yes, nothing like vivid pictures of the story in my head, which was immensely fun.

The pace of the book was really upbeat for me, much to my liking, unlike some books which sadly, tend to bring you around the bushes and into the burrow and out and round the bushes again, then only get to the point, Johnny Be Good was actually really easy to get yourself into. So, this is another one of Paige's fabulous novels! I loved it. I know I'll be reading it for the 2nd and hopefully 3rd or 4th time this Christmas, hence, the sparkling 5/5, but Paige, stop grinning already and get back to thanking me on Twitter.

Chat up with Paige on Twitter (@PaigeToonAuthor)

Comments