Book Review : One Perfect Summer by Paige Toon

Title : One Perfect Summer
Author : Paige Toon
Publication date : 10th May 2012
Publisher : Simon & Schuster UK
Source : Sent by publisher, thank you!

Rating : A whooping 5/5!

Ever wondered what happened to your first love?

Alice is 18 and about to start university while Joe’s life is going nowhere. A Dorset summer, a chance meeting, and the two of them fall into step as if they have known each other forever.

But their idyll is shattered unexpectedly. Alice heads off to Cambridge and slowly picks up the pieces of her broken heart. When she catches the attention of Lukas – gorgeous, gifted, rich boy Lukas – she is carried along by his charm, swept up by his ambitious plans for a future together.

Years later, at just the wrong time, Joe is back, but out of reach in a way that Alice could never have imagined. Life has moved on, the divide between them is now so great. Surely it is too late to recapture that perfect summer of long ago?

It is no doubt Paige Toon is my new favourite after reading Chasing Daisy and Johnny Be Good, she's a spectacular writer. I could easily compare her to Sophie Kinsella (Paige must be over the roof!). I wonder why I haven't bother to check her up before. *smacks head* I actually requested a review copy from Simon & Schuster 3 weeks ago, but I could hardly wait longer. I bought it as soon as it hits the bookshelves in my local bookstore. As soon as I started, I loved it.
The story is about Alice Simmons on a summer holiday in Dorset for six weeks with her parents, which was idyllic, as described by Paige. Alice was only 18 when the book starts off, I warmed up to her immediately because somehow, I could easily relate to her, as I'm 18. Alice is sweet, shy and the perfect heroine, because she's humble and the way she carried herself in the book was really charming. I really enjoyed reading about her perfect summer in Dorset.

Her relationship with Joe, her summer romance, was breathtaking. I was in awe at how a simple few weeks could bond two people together as though they have known each other for years. I loved how Joe is sweet and caring towards Alice and how much sacrifices he made to be with her. I mean, no summer would be perfect without a summer fling, right? But I felt Joe was more than a fling because Paige wrote with such depth from Alice's perspective, that it was love. Raw, real and heartwarming and ooh-ahh-inducing love. There's Lukas, in contrast to Joe, who is rich, handsome and seemed to be the perfect guy for Alice, but though I was blown away by his charms, like Alice, I still loved what she had with Joe. Though Lukas seemed to have everything, but his parents back in Germany really put me off! So what if you're a rich, high-society German family? Well, at least there's something to hate in the book, as it was too perfect! (Don't flatter yourself, Paige....)

I was really shocked and impressed at how well-written the surroundings were when I Googled "Dorset" and the pictures on the net blew me away. It was beautiful how Paige wrote about its stunning scenery and the perfect summer setting from Alice's point of view. So real that the pages came alive in my mind, with a vivid imagination of the picturesque surroundings. My favourite moment in the book has to be the first time Alice and Joe went to the cave in Dancing Ledge. It was true love for me and it's a special part in the book I'll always remember.

Overall, it was a lovely read. I loved every bit of it. Managed to finish it in 2 days, I could have done better if I weren't that caught up with school. It's good to read about a small cameo in the book too! Johnny Jefferson gets mentioned in the book! But you'll have to look out for it! I'm really glad I read this book. No regrets! None! It's a real Paige-turner! As always, beautifully written, Paige.

More news to come regarding her next book, Tell Laura I Love Her, if you've read Chasing Daisy, you'd know about her. Paige promised to write the sequel to One Perfect Summer in 2014. Fingers crossed the world doesn't end! I'd be devastated if I don't get to read about the happy ever after Alice and Joe deserves! Talk to the talented Paige Toon on Twitter (@PaigeToonAuthor) or find her on Facebook!

Comments