Book Review : It Happened in Venice by Molly Hopkins

Title : It Happened in Venice
Author : Molly Hopkins
Publication date : 30th August 2012
Publisher : Sphere
Source : Sent by Molly, thanks!

He cheated, but only once!

Evie Dexter has promised to forgive and forget her fiancé Rob - and her efforts to absolve his sins are paying off: in the past ten days she's only called him a two-timing love rat eleven times.

Thank goodness her flourishing career as a tour guide takes her to fashionable Dublin, in-vogue Marrakech and cool Amsterdam. So when Evie's offered a luxury visit to the sensual city of Venice she jumps at the chance. With its gondolas, wine and sultry Italian men, four days in the city of light and love is just what she needs. Who knows what could happen?

Personally, I loved It Happened in Paris! When I found out there was a sequel of this lovely and amazingly entertaining book, I was thrilled! I asked Molly if I could get an early review copy and she said yes! About 2 weeks later, this lovely book arrived in my mailbox! It looked fabulous, smelt delicious and I was suddenly lustful. I wanted to read it. And so I did..

 
It Happened in Venice started off where IHIP left off, Evie engaged to her gorgeous and super sweet fiancé, Rob. Seeing that the book hasn't been released yet, so I have to keep off with the spoilers! Though I'm terrible at keeping secrets of any sort, I promised Molly not to reveal the plot! All I can say is, it was soooooooooo good. It was such a fantastic read and I really enjoyed it! Much to my chagrin, there weren't as many saucy, steamy scenes in It Happened in Venice, as compared to Paris but they were equally good.

As you know, the heroine, Evie Dexter is such a lovable character, she's funny, feisty and I love her. You'll see new possibilities in life through her perspective, she's a very clever character and sometimes tend to fib too much, but isn't that what we love about our heroines - their aloofness and humour? The story was written in Evie's perspective, just like the prequel and I really understood and could relate to Evie's feelings throughout the book. The other characters in the book, Rob, Lulu, Nikki and John contributed a lot in the book as they made the book even more exciting to read! Rob has his skeletons in his closet which he must let out and Nikki has his dreams to fulfil and Lulu, well, she's just being Lulu with her crazy plans! Well, John Jackson, the billionaire tycoon from IHIP played an important role in this book as Evie's caring and sweet, albeit older, friend.

In IHIV, the story focuses more on Evie's life - her family, friends and surroundings - which were really intriguing. Lexy, her sister was hilarious as usual, and their parents made a short appearance in the book, it was fun from page one, I tell you! I was quite bummed by the absence of Evie's adorable albeit mischievous nieces, though the appeared briefly. I thought Evie's comparison of herself with Josephine Bonaparte was genius. Very clever and witty, Molly! Magnifico, Molly!

The book is set mainly in London, though Evie did travel to a few lovely cities - Dublin, Amsterdam, Marrakesh - but the main thing was VENICE. It took quite some time till the book got to Venice but it was wonderful having to build up the anticipation as Venice was described BEAUTIFULLY. Honest to truth, the plot of the book really surprised me. Like crazy bombshell shock for me. It was unexpected and there was heartbreak which made me reach out to Evie. How Evie dealt with heartbreak was amazing, with the help of her fairy godfather, that is.

All in all, I loved it. Molly delivered her words well, crafted her plot skilfully and added a few surprising elements! I really enjoyed it thoroughly. No joke. It's a 5/5 for me. So, you have to see, it's difficult for me to choose my favourite book of the year, huh? So many lovely, amazing and well-written books. Sigh. I still feel content after reading It Happened in Venice. I know this, it's healthier than retail therapy. Trust me and it's cheaper.

I strongly recommend It Happened in Venice to all readers. It's romance, humour and basically what you want from chick lit books all bound in a book - that is It Happened in Venice - so don't hesitate and I know you'll love it! Happy reading and please help yourself to lust over the book, though 30th August isn't very far away....

If you have a Kindle, then don't be forlorn! Molly wrote a short story, It Happened at Boot Camp, out now! So you could at least indulge yourself with something lovely while waiting. It's about Evie and Lulu heading off to boot camp to get away from men, so what are you waiting for? It'll be fun, hilarious and all together crazy!

Tweet the lovely Molly if you must, she's a real sweetheart! (@Molly_Hopkins)

Rating : 5/5

Comments