Book Review : Summer Nights by Allie Spencer

Title : Summer Nights
Author : Allie Spencer
Publication date : 21st June 2012
Publisher : Arrow
Source : Sent by publisher, thank you!

Flora Fielding has been dumped on her 30th birthday. And left stranded in San Francisco. With nowhere else to turn, she seeks out her cousin Bella who’s been working as a nurse in the city for the past few years.
 
But when she arrives at Bella’s apartment, Flora is shocked to find that her cousin’s in even more trouble than she is. Because instead of leading the fast-paced life of an emergencey room nurse that Flora has imagined, Bella is eking out a living as the lead singer in an Abba tribute band.

But as Flora soon learns, although life in San Francisco with Bella may be uncertain, it’s never ever dull. What with the tense Battle of the Tribute Bands, the threat to the local area by an evil developer, and the attentions of a very persistent computer geek, Flora soon begins to wonder whether she wants to go home at all. 

First of all, I was thrilled to receive this one hell of a book from Arrow! But sadly I received it later than expected, nevertheless, I got the chance to read one of the best summer reads, ever. Honestly, if it weren't for the lovely cover and the words "ALLIE SPENCER" on the cover, I would have thought it was another one of Lindsey Kelk's amazing books.

Do you love chick lit? Do you love a light, fluffy summer read? Do you love Sophie Kinsella's books? Well, if you said yes to all of the questions, then this is the book for you! I loved it so much, I wanted to fly out to England and give Allie a massive hug and drag her along to San Francisco!

Summer Nights is about Flora Fielding, on vacation in San Francisco to celebrate her 30th birthday. But when her boyfriend, Barney, who is expected to arrive in San Francisco to join her in the celebration, doesn't turn up as planned, Flora gets suspicious. At the end of the phone call, Barney dumps her. Alone and heartbroken in a city she isn't familiar with, and a cousin who is impossible to track down, she meets a group of lovely people to guide her through her vacation and the results are beyond amazing.

To me, I thought Flora was a really sweet character, one who knows her mind and quick-thinking. She dealt with the break up pretty well, sort of. She's funny and very down-to-earth, and knows where to stand. Flora was lovely company throughout the book and I really felt comfortable reading the book as her insight of things were really similar to mine! Coincidentally. Seeing San Francisco through Flora's eyes was spectacular, as I've mentioned, I really enjoyed reading Allie's writing style, unique and fresh, very similar to Lindsey Kelk but different in many ways. The characters in the book are the bomb! There was Bella, Flora's crazy but utterly talented cousin, who's the lead singer of Abbadabatastic (please tell me I got it right!), Lisa, the beautiful and successful darling who's caught the bartender, Bill's eye every time and Toby! Oh my gosh. I loved Toby! He's such a shy darling and I personally thought of him as a really cute bloke with a big heart! AND.. Josh, oh gosh. He was such a sweetheart and he carried the book very well with his presence.

The book is set in San Francisco, home to the proud and magnificent Golden Gate Bridge and the beautiful Victorian houses along the slopey roads of San Francisco! It was amazing to read about such a gorgeous place and I really hope I could visit, maybe live, there in the future. I loved the way Allie described the scenic ocean and beach, the beautiful night sky and the lovely community of Hope Street. If that place really exists, that's the first place I'll visit once I'm in San Francisco, sod the hotel room check-in. I'm getting myself a lovely meal from "Sylvie and Elvira"!

Overall, it was perfect for me. I loved how easy the book flowed and it left me with the warm, sweet feeling of finishing a book. This book promises what it delivers and I couldn't recommend it highly enough to fans of Sophie Kinsella and Lindsey Kelk. You've got to read it to believe it ;)

Rating : 5/5

Comments