Book Review : Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Title : Beautiful Disaster
Author : Jamie McGuire
Publication date : 14th August 2012
Publisher : Simon & Schuster UK
Source : Sent by the publisher for review, thank you!


The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


Sorry but I'm still shaken by this book. I read it yesterday and I finished it yesterday. So first off, I'd like to thank Alice from Simon & Schuster UK for sending me a copy of this book. You rock and I love you for this. I came across this book in a bookstore and I was rather intrigued with the book blurb, I thought this would be another sort of Fifty Shades kind of book. Boy, was I wrong..

Normally, I'd take 2-3 days to finish a book if I'm free, but I made no exception with Beautiful Disaster. I finished it in a day, well I call it a day because it was less than 24 hours. To be fair, I devoured this hell of a book in less than 8! I read the first quarter in the evening and finished the entire thing off from 11am to 3am. You don't know it when it hits you, huh? Confession: I loved this book and it can properly topple Fifty Shades, any time.

Beautiful Disaster is about Abby Abernathy, a reformed girl with a dark past, who starts afresh in college with her best friend, America (what a lovely name!). But the thing about trouble is, it never lets you go. Trouble comes in a human form of Travis Maddox: strong, lean and your typical bad boy, also known as the Walking One-Night Stand, the Adonis of campus and he could easily shag any girl he wants.

Abby and Travis's relationship started off with a lot of indifference on Abby's part as she was disgusted by his reputation as the ladies' man whereas Travis wanted Abby, but unlike other girl who'd simply comply to shag in on the floor in the hallway, he was intrigued by her resistance towards his charms. Then as the story progressed, they became the best of friends and resulting in both of them wanting more than just friendship. Clearly, at the beginning Abby fancied the pants off Travis but couldn't commit or else risk getting her heart broken. I felt really bad for Abby when she would suffer a pang of jealousy when Travis were to shag other girls. Just my natural reaction, I'm a very jealous person. I was literally pissing myself, clearly frustrated by the way their relationship was going, a few setbacks and throw in a bit of drama tinged with guilt had my nose stinging. My fatal flaw is guilt. You can write about love being professed on top of the world, but that would only make my heart melt. But if you write about guilt and hurt, you'll have me tearing. Weird, huh?

I have to say, this book is not what you think it is about. There's more than meets the eye, because based on the blurb, I'd imagine it to be full of sex, lust and tension. But no. Beautiful Disaster is so much more than that. It's about unconditional love and wanting someone you can never have and fighting for what you want. I admit, I'm a sucker for a good love story, albeit a complicated one and Beautiful Disaster did satisfy my need and fulfil the craving I needed. It was a drug for me and it is now occupying my mind, urging me to read it again.

I have to say, this book was intense. The love Travis has for Abby was, beyond compare, he was protective, her guardian and he couldn't stand her getting hurt. Abby has feelings for him but darkened by her past with her father, she couldn't. Invincible, Travis might be, in the ring, yes but when it came to Abby, he was like a dog with a bone. I loved how safe they made each other feel and I was so absorbed by the plot, I found myself on the last chapter already.

Beautiful Disaster for me was dark, intense and beautiful, intriguing and utterly captivating. Definitely my favourite contemporary romance book, ever.

Rating : 5/5

Comments