Book Review : The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

Title : The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic
Author : Sophie Kinsella
Publication date : September 2000 (This edition reprinted on 19th January 2012)
Publisher : Black Swan
Source : Purchased
 

Meet Rebecca Bloomwood.

She's a journalist. She spends her working life telling others how to manage their money. She spends her leisure time...shopping.

Retail therapy is the answer to all her problems. She knows she should stop, but she can't. She tries Cutting Back, she tries Making More Money. But neither seems to work. The stories she concocts become more and more fantastic as she tries to untangle her increasingly dire financial difficulties. Her only comfort is to buy herself something - just a little something...

Can Becky ever escape from this dream world, find true love, and regain the use of her Switch card?


Sophie Kinsella's The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic was the first ever chick lit novel I've read. I loved it. I was so hooked on it, I spent days in school back then saving up, living the "frugal" life in order to buy the other books in the series! But they were soooo worth it. The first encounter of the chick lit world and this book has magically pulled me into the fabulous chick lit universe. From that moment, I started reading Cecelia Ahern, Lindsey Kelk, Marian Keyes..

The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic (Confessions of a Shopaholic in the US) is about Becky Bloomwood, a journalist for a financial magazine, who hates her job as it bores her to tears. She love shopping, hence; shopaholic. She has more than three credit cards and each of them are overdue, you'd think she would be in a spot, but no way. You can't stop someone from doing what they love, no?

I loved Becky Bloomwood, she was such a warm, kind and funny character. She is the epitome of a chick lit heroine. She's the sole reason why I love Sophie Kinsella's novels. Hell, I've got ALL of them, and I loved them all! Becky may seem aloof at times, but that's what makes her a highly loveable character! She's witty, your typical girl-next-door with a big heart, and a penchant for overspending her credit cards, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! The other thing I loved about Becky is her tendency to get herself out of sticky situations, I loved reading the parts where she'd wriggle herself out of the messy predicaments she's in.

The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic should be/is the perfect scheme for a chick lit novel. Everything in the book is measured accurately, from its flow of the story to its chapters to its characters. Oh God, I'd love to be friends with Suze. She is Becky's best friend and also flatmate who is the amazeballs! The both of them are! Then there's Luke Brandon, THE hero of the chick lit world. I even pretended to read some dialogues out loud in my room just to make the scene more vivid!

I'm sorry it took SO long for me to write this review, but I just thought everyone should know what an amazing, talented writer Sophie Kinsella is. She makes you fall in love with the characters, follow the plot of her books aimlessly unbeknownst of the lovely happy ending awaiting you. That's why I love Sophie's book, every one of them.

Get lost into Becky's world where shopping is as vital as having your breakfast and fashion is what matters most! Okay, maybe a few knick and knacks too, but what's shopping without it? The perfect pick-me-up if you've had a bad day at work, with a lovely lie-in the tub with your favourite oil and chocolates! The chocolate of comfort food, this!

Rating : 5/5

Comments