Book Review : Winter Wonderland by Belinda Jones

Title : Winter Wonderland
Author : Belinda Jones
Publication date : 8th November 2012
Publisher : Hodder
Source : Sent by the publisher, thank you!

Imagine waking up in a snow globe. . .

That's how travel journalist Krista feels when she arrives in magical Quebec to report on Canada's glittering Winter Carnival.

Over ten sub-zero days Krista's formerly frozen heart begins to melt as she discovers an enchanting world of ice palaces, husky dog-sledding and maple-syrup treats galore. And then she meets Jacques, a man as handsome and rugged as he is mysterious. . .

The two share a secret that could bond them forever, but can they find a way to break through the protective layers around their hearts to warm up this winter wonderland?

. . . let the snow-spangled adventure begin.


Winter Wonderland is a first for me, by Belinda Jones. I was so happy when the postman handed over the parcel from Hodder! I was thrilled to find Winter Wonderland in it and I admit, I did a little whoop (it's NOT a rare occasion). I was already on a high on Christmas-themed books, gosh. I still want more though!

As I've mentioned, Winter Wonderland is my first ever book by Belinda Jones, despite her previous 10, I guess. I feel so silly not picking up her books before. Never knew why but now, the hunt is definitely on for all of them. You know why? Because I loved Winter Wonderland and it proves what a talented writer Belinda is! Everything was amazing in WW, it was such a lovely read as it was the perfect getaway!

Winter Wonderland follows Krista, a travel writer, who finds herself writing about Quebec, the French-speaking city of Canada! Writing about the Winter Carnival held in the sparkly, snowy Quebec, she gets on a ride of her lifetime, meeting the most amazing people and get this: freezes her bum off on a bed made out of a block of ice! How wild is that? Blimey. I wish I could have jumped into the book, discovering Canada alongside Krista and Annique and Wolf Man. Gosh, I loved her best friend, Laurie! Such a warm, supportive friend, how I wish she was featured more in the book! But rest assured, Belinda's next book, The Travelling Tea Shop will have Laurie as the leading lady!

What's not to love? The snowy, glittering city of Quebec, in contrast to the mushy, plush blanket of snow of the mountains. The wonderful city of Quebec and the lovely, exciting activities you can do when you're there! Wow. Dog-sledding, ice-skating, jumping on the "Tornado", now that was absolutely mortifying!

But beware: despite its pretty, inviting cover, soft shades of blue to get you into the Christmas spirit, the story has a different side. It's not just your average chick lit, where the heroine falls in love and lives happily ever after. No, it deals with a personal thing Krista has to endure and in the process, she finds herself again. And slowly finds her heart being pulled at Wolf Man's direction where he too had a bad experience in life. Not wanting to give away and all that, just so you could read all about it!

All in all, it's a fabulous, escapist of a book, where you could snuggle in bed, with a cup of your favourite warm beverage, and read on and on about the adventure of Krista in Quebec, the magical snow kingdom in Canada. Get that, me trying to sound all creative with words. Pfft. Anyhow, I really enjoyed it, it was a pleasure to read it. Not too heavy on the other darker side of the story, while balanced perfectly with the fun and stomach-plunging excitement of some parts of the story. Perfect for readers who enjoy Lindsey Kelk and Jane Costello's books! I would like to thank Hodder for sending me a copy.

Rating : 5/5

Comments

  1. I agree would have been great to see a little more of Laurie. Loved this book xXx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment