Book Review : You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane

Title : You Had Me At Hello
Author : Mhairi McFarlane
Publication date : 6th December 2012
Publisher : Avon
Source : Sent by the publisher, thank you!

What happens when the one that got away comes back?

Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. It was them against the world. Until it all fell apart.
It’s been a decade since they last spoke, but when Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day, the years melt away. But life has moved on. Ben is married. Rachel is not.

Yet in that split second, Rachel feels the old friendship return. And along with it, the broken heart she’s never been able to mend.

I requested You Had Me At Hello from Becke, mainly because I found the plot very interesting, and also it was highly praised by Claudia Carroll, one of my favourite authors. Don't you agree that the cover is stunning too? It's very different and the colours are beautifully contrasted to the dark background. Love it!

As you know, I love discovering new author's writing style, hence reading a debut author's book is always thrilling and an adventure for me. It's the thing about the newness of the author's voice and the unfamiliar styles of writing that excites me. And Mhairi (pronounced "Vah-ree") is a really lovely person. Just so you know, Ben was inspired by ANDREW GARFIELD. Swooooooooooonn..

My interest in the book was piqued by the phrase "what happens when the one that got away comes back?". For one, I am a sucker for a love story, the thing about unrequited love excites me, with hope that the guy and girl will fall madly in love with each other and fireworks and ta-da. But You Had Me At Hello is very different from all the love stories I've read, not because it promises the gooey, heartwarming feeling upon finishing the book, but it's much deeper.

You Had Me At Hello focuses on Rachel's life, thirteen or so years after graduating university, in an unhappy relationship with someone she is falling out of love with, the perfect job with the worst nemesis and sassy attitude. One thing I liked about Rachel was her attitude and also her everlasting sense of humour. I thought she carried herself really well, as a strong, independent woman with a really big heart!

I have to admit, the plot was well-written but the story was a bit too long, with 69 chapters, 436 pages. I took way much longer to finish it because I felt it was a bit too draggy, and it was rather slow-paced. I hate to say this but the ending was a bit expected, the ending you would want to read about, but since it was rather clichéd, the book didn't end with a big bang for me but I was glad there was a happy ending for them. Other than that, the characters in the book were wonderful, especially Ben! He was the perfect hero for me and I thought he was one hell of a guy.

Mhairi's writing style is rather fresh, new and fun to read about, juggling her sense of humour with a tinge of sarcasm, throw in playful bantering between Rachel and Ben, you'd understand what I mean. I could relate to Mhairi's style of writing as it was really light, fun and easy to follow, seeing that she's a very experienced journalist (not implying that she is old...).

All in all, I enjoyed the story of Ben and Rachel, Rachel and Ben. But it didn't rock me. It didn't satisfy me well enough. I had high hopes for it but it was not as good as I expected it to be but it was a great story to follow and of course, Ben and Rachel made the book really worthwhile, with their chemistry and compatibility. I loved Rachel and Ben, with their relaxed and playful friendship and the way Rachel describes Ben is just, beautiful. Nevertheless, a fantastic debut novel by Mhairi McFarlane, as I'll be looking forward to reading her next one out in December 2013. You Had Me At Hello is perfect for readers of Lindsey Kelk and Claudia Carroll and also those who enjoyed One Day, minus the heartbreaking ending.

You Had Me At Hello is available on ebook now!
You can buy You Had Me At Hello from Amazon here and here for Book Depository.

Rating : 4.5/5

Comments