The Glitter Tiara Awards 2012

Throughout the year, I've read many fabulous books and I've always liked the idea of doing a book awards kind of thing. So.. I've decided to launch my first ever book awards, the Glitter Tiara Awards! Click on the titles and see why!

Imagine a silver-pale pink, glittery tiara statuette!
Ps. Only books released in 2012, reviewed as of December 23rd were selected for a Glitter Tiara Award. 


BEST BOOK OF 2012


 
No surprise as I am a massive reader of Sophie Kinsella's books. I loved I've Got Your Number, possibly the best standalone by Sophie K, ever. I loved everything about the book, from its concept, where losing your mobile phone could wreak havoc, to the lovable heroine that is Poppy and the gorgeous, real-life hero, Sam! Definitely my pick for 2012 as I enjoyed every page of it.

and

Undoubtedly, I love Lindsey Kelk's books. The thing about travelling around the globe to cities everyone dying to visit and also, the ever-charming Angela Clark, thrills me. I was a little sad as I Heart London was the final instalment of the I Heart series, my favourite series aside from the Shopaholic, and gladly, I Heart London finished off with a bang!
 
MOST ANTICIPATED AND BEST ENDING

The most anticipated book of 2012 has to be Ali McNamara's From Notting Hill to New York... Actually, the sequel to the fun, good ol' chick lit, From Notting Hill With Love... Actually, where Scarlett returns in the sequel and heads off to the Big Apple! And I'm glad to report, this highly anticipated sequel lives up to its first book and never failed to keep me entertained! The ending was the epitome of the book, the brightest star in the sky, the pearl in the ocean. The ending was beautiful, I loved it. It deserves the best ending of 2012.

BEST DEBUT


 
Definitely the best debut novel I've read this year and you know why? Mhairi (pronounced "Vah-ree") McFarlane is such a fabulous author! And of course, the story was such a wonderful, witty romantic comedy, what's not to love? Psst. Ben, was inspired by Andrew Garfield, or that's what I thought. Anyway, a fantastic debut by Mhairi!

BEST LOVE STORY


I've started reading Claudia's books this year and I've managed to devour three of them! And one of my favourites has to be A Very Accidental Love Story, with its beautifully written plot, to its wonderful ooh-and-ahh inducing moments, it is my favourite love story of 2012! If there's an author who can write a fabulous love story, it's my Irish mammy, Claudia Carroll!
  
MOST PROMISING AUTHOR


One of the best debut novels of 2012 has to be.. On The Island! Whooo! This rollercoaster of a book had me hook on the complicated love story of Anna and T.J. and it was pure goodness. I loved how Tracey made such an amazing debut with such a beautiful story! Tracey Garvis-Graves is one to look out for in the coming years, her next one, Covet will be out in summer 2013.


BEST CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE


I think it's an understatement to say this, but: "better than Fifty Shades, minus the sex". The complicated and frustrating relationship between Abby and Travis made Beautiful Disaster my favourite romance book of the year, knocking off Fifty Shades and even the Crossfire series. I can't wait for Walking Disaster, written from Travis's point of view, out next April!

BEST SUMMER READ


I LOVE Paige Toon's book, she's one of my favourite authors and her books are the absolute best. I've read all her books this year and her 2012 release, One Perfect Summer was so beautiful, I had to reassure myself, "Alice and Joe got their happy ending in the end". I loved the chemistry between them and it was such a fabulous read for me, I devoured it - definitely one of my favourites. To top it off, Paige wrote "One Perfect Christmas", a short story focusing on the lives of Alice and Joe after ONS.
 
BEST BONKBUSTER

The bonkbuster of the year for me has to be Bad Angels by Rebecca Chance. From raunchy hot, gay sex scenes to the shocking ending, Bad Angels didn't disappoint! Undoubtedly. I love Rebecca Chance's books, they are so scandalous, naughty and irresistible! They are the principessina of bonkbusters!

MOST HUMOROUS


The Greatest Love Story of All Time has to be the most humorous book I've read this year. It was downright hilarious, with Fran and her sense of humour and of course, the "right" amount of expletives. I found the plot really good and Fran, a wonderful character. Look out, guys. Lucy Robinson is an author to look out for!

BEST HEROINE 


All The Single Ladies is the first ever book I've read by Jane Costello, and I loved it so much because of Sam Brooks, the heroine in the book. Being dumped by her boyfriend Jamie, she was back in the game, dating losers and pathetic unemployed men, then she met The One. A lovely story of choosing who you love but what matters most is you.



BEST COUPLE

Rachel and Ben ( You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane)


The best couple goes to.... RACHEL AND BEN from You Had Me At Hello. I mean, this is a fact of life, people. They deserve this title, don't you think? I think so and your argument is invalid! Sorry, but not sorry. *sniggers* I loved them. They made me enjoy You Had Me At Hello very very very much! If you've read the book and loved it, you'd know why!
BEST TEARJERKER AND MOST INSPIRATIONAL


When I Fall in Love by Miranda Dickinson might have that lovely, chick lit-ish cover, but beware: don't read this book in public, not even the bus or when you're on the tube, because you will well up. It was heartbreaking when you discover what happened to Elsie, then uplifting when Elsie takes you on the journey of moving on, with the help and guidance of Lucas. A must-read for lovers of Lisa Jewell and Jill Mansell.

 
BEST HERO

Leopold William Victor Wolfsburg of Nirona (The Runaway Princess by Hester Browne)

I really, really enjoyed The Runaway Princess by Hester Browne. Think Princess Diaries but an adult version with a swoon-worthy hero in the form of LEO. He was everything a hero in a chick lit novel should be, sorry to say this, but I feel like I'm cheating on Luke Brandon, but he is THE hero for me, seeing that Luke didn't appear this year! Congratulations to the handsome, charming Leo!


BEST CHRISTMAS READ


One of the best Christmas-themed books of 2012 for me, has to be Jenny Colgan's Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe. I loved Meet Me At the Cupcake Cafe, its prequel because, what's not to love when you add Christmas and cupcakes into the mix? Definitely one of my favourites this year as I devoured it as soon as I received it!
and


Another favourite Christmas book of mine this year is... Belinda Jones's Winter Wonderland! It was such a thrill to read about Krista's adventure in snowy Quebec! It was as if I were in Canada myself, living through her vicariously! Absolutely good fun and very enjoyable!

Comments

  1. Hi Kevin,

    I'm new to your blog and would like to thank you for it and congratulate you, it's so nice !!! It seems a great place to share our love of chick lit !!
    Thanks to Amazon, I'm able to enjoy chick lit because it's still hard in France to find books in English !!
    What about Trisha Ashley whom I discovered quite recently, I think she's worth it !!
    Good luck !!
    Aurélie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Aurelie (what a beautiful name!)
      Thank you so much for your kind words! I would love to learn French in the future - such a beautiful language!
      As for Trisha's book, I didn't manage to read it last year, but here's hoping to reading her 2013 book! xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Kev.

    I am Kobby. Not new to your blog though but New to your glitter tiara because I always go mobile and I don't see your other pages. You could be my inspiration to blog Chicklit too. I loved chick-lit since Sarah Strohmeyer (ever read Bubbles series)? I must agree to I've Got Your Number. I adore Sophie Kinsella and I lurk till one of her books go free before I grab them as fast as I can. IGYN was worth grabbing I loved Magus, his intellectual parents and the girls at the ring shop were my favorites.

    Hope we connect more often. So jealous of your site though. My current design is a failed attempt to model it like yours. I blog just like you, but I focus more on Indie Chicklit Authors because I realized huge support was needed in that arena. I blog at Http://chicklitpad.blogspot.com

    And Hey, if You could tweet to me when any book that appears on your blog is going kindle free I will be : )

    Maybe in the meantime we could do a joint something about boys who love their Sophie Kinsellas (chicklit), dunno, Poppahearts-chicklit, Lol. With a title like that, I guess we have to wait to become Poppas like the mamas who own their blogs.

    Anyway, Cool blog. Cool award title.

    Signing Off,
    Kobby.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment