Book Review : Essex Girls by Laura Ziepe

Title : Essex Girls
Author : Laura Ziepe
Publisher : Avon (31 Jan 2013)
Source : Sent by publisher for review, thank you!

You can take the girl out of Essex...

You’ll be well jel over the adventures of three good-hearted, strong-willed, fake-baked Essex Girls.

Fun, fresh and always ream, this novel Perfect for fans of TOWIE and the novels of Katie Price.
Jade did everything she could to fit in at university – toned down her tan, gave up on her favourite fake lashes, swapped designer dresses for jeans. And it seemed to make her boyfriend Tom happy. But obviously not quite happy enough.

When Jade finds Tom’s been cheating she heads home: to Essex. Reunited with her best mates Kelly and Lisa, even a night out at The Sugar Hut isn’t enough to put a smile back on her face. So they hatch a plan to get away from it all, to a place so ream it’s unreal – Marbella. Sun, sea, men, vajazzles: what could possibly go wrong?


A fun, fresh and always polished novel for the Essex Girl in all of us...

Essex. I've never come across this particular county before. Recently, I only discovered it from The First Last Kiss by Ali Harris - the book was set in some parts of Essex, mainly Leigh-On-Sea and Southend. Sorry to my lovely readers from Essex. But I do now! Thanks to Essex Girls!

I was so thrilled to have received a copy from Avon a few weeks back. I knew it would be a fun-going book with lovable characters. Something I really needed after reading The First Last Kiss twice, I knew I wanted something light and fluffy to get over the heartbreak of finishing the book so that was what Essex Girls did for me.

What I thought about it:
Since Laura Ziepe is a debut author, I didn't expect a lot from the book nor did I look down on it being a "trashy" novel because from the blurb, it promises fun - half of the book is set in Marbella, but also a book about friendship and celebrating life in style - the Essex way! The moment I started on the first chapter, I realised the book was really easy to read, the way Laura writes is simple, relatable and easy-going.

The book focuses on three girls, I say girls because it's what they are. The three of them are in their early twenties and should still be considered as "girls", am I right? Hence the title, Essex Girls. First up, Jade the protagonist in the book, I found her sweet, lovable and determined. Next is Kelly, Jade's best friend and a very talented beautician, but at times I found her a bit dim. Don't get me wrong, she's an amazing friend and super supportive as her presence in the book doesn't go unnoticed, but I just wish she wasn't so ditzy, as described in the book. Then lastly, there's Lisa. I didn't get to know much about Lisa because she was absent half of the book, if you read the book you'll know why, but I found her different, more sensible compared to Jade and Kelly.

The book is set in two places, Essex and Marbella. Not to forget a little bit of Bath, where Jade was staying at the early chapters. I really enjoyed reading about Marbella as it was described as "Spain's Essex" and often wondered how do they live that sort of lifestyle - drinking, partying, sunbathing, dancing and waking up with a hangover and no recollection of what happened the night before. But it was an experience, let me tell you. If you are from Essex, you'd find Essex Girls very relatable and enjoyable.

As I have mentioned, Laura's writing style is easy to follow, doesn't require much thought as it was a very entertaining book. Essex Girls is like the insider's guide to Marbella, I guess. You get the glimpse of what life at Marbella is, as you get the chance to read about what Marbs has to offer, from the super fun clubs to the dance clubs!

Verdict:
Essex Girls for me was really entertaining, the plot was a bit predictable but it was a fun read, something you could easily sink your teeth into. The pace of the book flowed pretty well for me, though the ending was rather short-lived. I would have liked for the ending to be more exciting, as the book was pretty short. I guess I wanted more it!

A very good debut by Laura Ziepe. It was such a fun-loving, feel-good and highly entertaining. I would definitely want to read the sequel, Made in Essex, which will be out in January 2014.

Rating : 4/5






Laura Ziepe as Jade











Lauren Conrad as Kelly
















Selena Gomez as Lisa

Comments

  1. Great review! Love that you do cast photos of the main characters - fab idea x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment