Book Review : The First Last Kiss by Ali Harris

Title : The First Last Kiss
Author : Ali Harris
Publisher : Simon & Schuster UK (17 Jan 2013)
Source : Sent by the publisher for review, thank you so much!

How do you hold on to a love that is slowly slipping away from you?

Can you let go of the past when you know what is in the future?

And how do you cope when you know that every kiss is a countdown to goodbye?

This is the story of a love affair, of Ryan and Molly and how they fell in love and were torn apart. The first time Molly kissed Ryan, she knew they'd be together forever. Six years and thousands of kisses later she's married to the man she loves. But today, when Ryan kisses her, Molly realises how many of them she wasted because the future holds something which neither of them could have ever predicted…

Ali Harris's Miracle on Regent Street was one of the top books for me last year, it was a really fun, refreshing and exciting Christmas book! But, yes, a big but, The First Last Kiss is completely different. I thought it would be a lovely, fluffy chick lit, just like Ali's debut novel, but I was so wrong. The blurb sounded absolutely amazing! And I thought it was just another heart-warming love story.

When I received an email from Simon & Schuster, asking if I'd like to review Ali's next book, The First Last Kiss, I squealed and pinged my reply back immediately! I really enjoyed Ali's debut novel, I was so excited to read The First Last Kiss. I had so much expectations and I'm more than happy to report that, IT IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CECELIA AHERN'S PS. I LOVE YOU! I loved it so so so much, I read it twice to torment myself with crying my eyes out.

What I thought about it:
After reading the blurb, I thought it would be a really complicated love story between two people, they would inevitably fall out of love and go through the heartbreak. Then they would reunite and fall in love with each other all over again. No, that is just wishful thinking. The First Last Kiss is more than that, so much more. It focuses on falling in love with the one you love, maintaining the love you have for each other when you go through hard times and never break the beautiful bond between you and your partner called love. Love, love, love. Do you actually know what it means?

A kiss. What is a kiss? Before reading The First Last Kiss, I thought kisses were just simple gestures to show love or affection. But after following Molly and Ryan's roller coaster of a love story, I know. A kiss can signify so many things; a sign of celebration, a profession of undying love, a simple gesture to show that you love someone dearly.

The story is about Molly and Ryan. Childhood sweethearts who find love in all around the place but don't realise that they are meant for each other at first. As the book is written from Molly's perspective, you'll know why she doesn't accept Ryan's attempts to win her heart. I loved how comfortable they make each other. I really enjoyed reading about how they fell in love, with Ryan's out of the world proposal. Absolutely romantic! It was like watching a delightfully sweet though corny romantic comedy film, but with unexpected bits which makes you cringe on your seat, unaware of what the film has in store for you. The First Last Kiss may seem like a cheesy rom-com but no, it's so much more than that. It's a celebration of love, friendship, loss and moving on. I loved every bit of it.

The chapters in the book are split into a series of flashbacks, from the first moment they met to when they share their first, proper kiss, to the gooey, heart-warming bits where they tell each other they love each other. It was THE love story for me. Think Romeo and Juliet, minus the horrible in-laws, add in the romantic grand gestures and the handsome hero. The story was such a gem, that I stayed up till 3am to read about the greatest love that is Molly and Ryan's. I have to congratulate Ali for successfully entwining snippets of stories with the couple's kisses. It was clever, genius and creative. The First Last Kiss is DEFINITELY one of my favourites, as I loved every page of this beautiful novel.

I loved how Ali could think write all the sweet, heartening moments of their relationship. My heart soared as high as the sky for their unconditional love for each other, my eyes welled up when they had to go through the hardest, saddest moments of their relationship; with each story behind each kiss, I became more and more absorbed into the book. I couldn't help but feel that what Cecelia Ahern wrote in PS. I Love You couldn't compare to Ali's beautifully written love story, albeit heart-wrenching. I just hope this book will be made into a film, I really do. Fingers crossed that it will!

Verdict:
The First Last Kiss is perfect for you if:
  1. You loved PS. I Love You or any of Cecelia Ahern's books.
  2. You love romantic comedies, but BEWARE: this is completely different to what a rom-com is.
  3. You would want to fall in love with such a beautiful book.
Rating : 5/5





RYAN PHILLIPPE as Ryan Cooper





ANNE HATHAWAY as Molly Carter

Comments