Book Review : A Girl Like You by Gemma Burgess

Title : A Girl Like You
Author : Gemma Burgess
Publication date : 6th January 2011
Publisher : Avon
Source : Purchased

"I've discovered the secret to successful singledom. I'm acting like a man. And it's working."

After breaking up with her boyfriend of, well, forever, Abigail Wood must learn how to be single from scratch. Her dating skills are abysmal, and she ricochets from disaster to disaster – until Robert, one of London's most notorious lotharios, agrees to coach her.

With his advice, she learns to navigate the bastard-infested waters of the bar scene and practices the art of being bulletproof. The new Abigail is cocky, calm, composed… but what happens when she meets her match?

Okay, if I come across gushing like a teenage lovestruck girl, please do stop me. I can't tell you how much I loved this book by Gemma Burgess - definitely one of my all-time favourites, no doubt. I'm sure you're familiar with the feeling you get when you read a particular book, you wouldn't want it to end, so you read it "slowly" but at the same time it's so delectable, you can't help but devour it? Like eating a dainty little cupcake, where you should slowly nibble it to relish its taste but it's so good, you shove it into your mouth, whole?

That was what I experienced when I finished A Girl Like You by Gemma Burgess. I was so sad it ended, I had to listen to the Pitch Perfect soundtrack to put myself to sleep, in hope of dreaming about the book. It left me wanting more of the story and in my dream, Gemma wrote its sequel and it's a best-seller. Yay.

It is an undeniable fact that Gemma Burgess is my new favourite author. She is, you know why? Because I knew I've found a new favourite when I finished her debut novel, The Dating Detox a few weeks back, but I also wanted an excuse to read A Girl Like You to "finalise" my decision. So, here it is, the beautiful-ugly truth, I HAVE AN AUTHOR CRUSH ON GEMMA B. Oops.

A Girl Like You is very different to the type of chick lit books I enjoy. Mainly because it's not the typical old-school chick lit everyone reads, for example Sophie Kinsella, Paige Toon, Jane Costello. Gemma takes chick lit to a completely different level, using her writing voice to capture a new audience - imagine Lindsey Kelk, Lucy Robinson. These ladies are the next generation of chick lit writers and I'm telling you, it's a new outlook for the genre and I'm loving it. The Dating Detox and A Girl Like You are filled with witty banters, clever dialogue and an array of lovable characters, add in a dashing hero and throw in a kick-arse heroine, you've got it

A Girl Like You is about Abigail Wood, recently single after being in a relationship with the same guy for 7 years, and then bam. Single, alone and oblivious to the dangerous world of dating. Then Robert (loved him, absolutely amazing hero, charming but a total lothario) agrees to coach her to navigate the battlefield of bastards and f*cknuckles. That's all I'm giving away, ha ha. But seriously, it's soooooo good, I would read it again, but seeing that I'm way behind my to-read pile, I can't. Sob.

The heroine, star of the book, Abigail Wood reminds me a lot of Sass (heroine from The Dating Detox), probably with better flirting skills and more hilarious, and it works for me because so far, Gemma has managed to create two funny, silly and adorable heroines, backed up by a supportive crew of friends. Though I'm 19, with no social life, I can't help but live vicariously through them, so if you love the whole girl-about-town concept, you'd love this. It's very modern, chic and "in" sort of book, where you could blend in with the setting as easily as fall in love with the story. Bridget Jones, eat your heart out!

I loved the story, it was like a highly-recommended romantic comedy you'll watch over and over again and won't get bored of it because it's got you hooked. For example, I am currently hooked on Pitch Perfect, amazing musical comedy and no matter how many times I watch it, I will never get bored of it. Like, seriously. I've seen it more than 10 times since Christmas. Judging from the blurb, we all know who Abigail would end up with, but the book is a roller coaster. One minute, Abigail finds the perfect guy, then poof, the plot thickens and you get really intrigued and you keep on reading, before you know it, you're at the last chapter.

A Girl Like You is clever, witty, hilarious, LAUGH OUT LOUD hilarious and the dialogue is just simply awesome. It's like reading the script of Saturday Night Live or some late-night talk show. My favourite line from the book has to be this, sorry but it's a bit dirty but I love it. "I think men should trim. I wouldn't want to blow and floss at the same time". If you think that's laughing-so-hard-my-gut-hurts, then beware, you'll be hospitalised for abdominal cramps. Trust me, pick this little book up and it'll brighten your day. A Girl Like You has made my "All-Time Favourite" list, I can't wait for Gemma's next one, Brooklyn Girls which is out in July 2013.

Rating : 5/5

Comments

  1. I love your reviews! I completely agree with you about this author and everything you've said about this book, I loved it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactlty how I felt when I finished it tooo!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE Gemma's work! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment