Book Review : J'Adore New York by Isabelle Laflèche

Title : J'Adore New York
Author : Isabelle Laflèche
Publication date : 12th April 2010
Publisher : HarperCollins Canada
Source : Sent by the author for review, thank you!

Glamour, love, and the competition to make partner?

Welcome to New York.

When Catherine Lambert, an effortlessly chic Parisian lawyer, receives an offer to transfer to the New York office of her prestigious firm, she unhesitatingly accepts. A dedicated follower of fashion and everything stylish, she is determined to conquer the high- flying world of Manhattan law—and love. Catherine's daydreams of glamour quickly fizzle, however, when she is faced with her new job's hard realities. Between the pressure of billable hours, the demands of Catherine's impossible bosses, the conspiracies of two malicious secretaries, and the advances of a lecherous client, New York is more of a nightmare than a dream. Then she meets Jeffrey Richardson, a powerful and handsome client, and her life takes on the romance she'd hoped it would. Candlelit dinners and trips to the Hamptons make even the most outrageous assignments bearable— until an unexpected request brings her new world crashing down around her.

With its insider's perspective on the dirty deals and intrigue that have darkened Wall Street's reputation, J'adore New York is a bright and funny take on the lives and laws of Manhattan's most powerful players.

I was so so so thrilled when Isabelle Laflèche told me she would be more than happy to send me a copy of her (absolutely fabulous) debut novel. Let me tell you this: I finished it on the same day it arrived in my mailbox. It was seriously addictive and I loved it so much. J'Adore New York is the third book I've devoured in a day this year and I'm more than happy to gush about how perfect it is to wrap up a fantastic year!

Do you get the feeling when you know the book you're reading is a total gem and you've got a really strong feeling that you'll love it just from reading the first chapter? For me, this usually happens when I read a Sophie Kinsella book, or any by my favourite authors (Paige Toon, Lindsey Kelk, Jane Costello, etc.) so I'm proud to announce that Isabelle Laflèche is joining that list! From the moment I flipped to chapter 2, I knew I would love this book. I mean, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't know what to expect when I read the first few pages, right? But J'Adore New York is different for this matter. Maybe it's due to my longing to read it, or the really interesting plot or maybe I really adore Isabelle's writing style.

Either way, I loved the book! Sound the alarm and throw the confetti! It's been a while since I've read a book that gives me a thrill to finish it as soon as I can because I'm too excited for what Catherine Lambert, lawyer extraordinaire has to offer, or her glamorous life in the Big Apple. Ooh, and have I mentioned? Catherine is French! I have never come across a French heroine so she has to be the first and it is very refreshing to see things from a French perspective! I wonder if it's true that the reason French women stay so thin and slim is because they have accelerated metabolism?

Anyway, back to the book. Hmmm. What should I write about it without sounding like a total gushing idiot? In short, I loved it. It was a different sort of chick lit - very clever, smart and high profile-ish chick lit (Catherine is a lawyer in a big firm in NYC so you get the picture - haute couture, fine dining, etc.). With Catherine as the guide, the book takes readers to the secret lives of lawyers working in well-established law firms to the ugly truth behind every deal (enter bitch boss from hell) and also the glitz and glamour of the lives of the elites on Upper East Side. Think of it as an adult-version of Gossip Girl (I'm a GG obsesso, sorry!).

Catherine Lambert - gorgeous, French, well-mannered and driven. Seriously, she's such a wonderful character to read about, especially when the book is written from her point of view. Everything was so different yet familiar through her eyes, am I making sense or am I blinded by the charms of Catherine Lambert, French glamazon? At first, she seemed like a really headstrong, determined power maniac, but as the book progresses, I soon warmed up to her and her love for Dior. Besides Catherine, there's one more character who I absolutely adored and that's Rikash, her assistant! Kind, funny, sweet and super supportive. He's Indian and gay and real sweetheart, his presence made the book light and fluffy but with substance at the same time. If I ever work as a lawyer in a multi-million firm, searching for a Rikash as my assistant would be imperative.

To top it off, the ending was beautiful, unexpected and promises a continuation - psst! J'Adore Paris is out next May! - I can hardly wait! It was an utterly fabulous debut by Isabelle Laflèche which left me wanting more of Catherine's story as she continues her journey to Paris with a handsome boyfriend! I am so so so glad I read it as it's one of the best books I've read. Trust me, you'll love this. It's light, funny and sharp - I devoured it like a delectable mille-feuille!

Rating : 5/5

Comments

Post a Comment