Book Review : A Message To Your Heart by Niamh Greene

A Message to Your Heart by Niamh Greene
Published by : Penguin Ireland (PB: 7th Jun 2012/MMP: 25th Oct 2012)

Received from publisher for review, thank you!

The blurb:
Frankie Rowley is far too practical to believe in karma or fate... and her family and friends reckon that work-obsessed Frankie's strongest relationship is with her phone. (And why not? At least it never judges her for cancelling dinner for the umpteenth time.)

When she loses that precious phone on a business trip to San Francisco, Frankie is forced to hire a replacement. Soon she's getting texts meant for someone else - a woman called Aimee who seems like a lot of fun, and whose family clearly loves to keep in touch - and whose presence in her life is the last thing Frankie needs.

Frankie goes on the warpath, but she is in for some surprises when she blunders into Aimee's world. And the biggest surprise of all is how your life can be changed forever by losing a phone. Frankie may not believe in karma or fate, but suddenly it looks like they've got her number...

The thing is, A Message to Your Heart was supposed to wing its way to me since October last year (it was originally published in large paperback in June), but something might have happened to it. And the saddest thing was, I forgot about it. When I checked through my emails, I came across the email with the publicist.

So I emailed her again and immediately one winged its way to me. I was so bummed that I couldn't get to read this last year, or else it would have made it to my top favourites of the year! (see: Glitter Tiara Awards) Either way, I am thrilled that I got the chance to read it, so I would like to thank the publicist who sent me a copy of this amazing book!

What I thought about it:
OK, this is one of those books which will blow you away completely, as in knock your socks off and leave you shocked and speechless. First of all, I loved the concept of the book. Lost phone, new and strange city, mysterious texts and a lot of surprises.

A Message to Your Heart is about Francesca "Frankie" Rowley who is a literary agent, with her own (failing) agency. She puts her job before everything else, and neglects her family. She finds herself in beautiful San Francisco, without her phone. Too dependant on her phone, she is forced to hire a replacement phone, then the story unfolds.

Initially, I didn't warm up to Frankie. No offence to the author, but I didn't particularly like her attitude at the beginning. She was really exasperating at times, and seems to allow the guy she's seeing step over her and mark his shoe prints all over her. But then as the story progressed, she changes and slowly, I began to like her. A lot. My favourite character has to be, hands down, Rosie! I was a bit cynical when I first read about her, but as I got to know her, sort of befriend her through Frankie (the book is written from Frankie's perspective), I realised I really enjoyed her wonderful, lively presence in the book!

Oddly, the plot reminds me of Sophie Kinsella's I've Got Your Number, except in this case, the story is much deeper and emotional. Beware, this book is an emotional roller-coaster. As the plot unfolds, everything will seem clearer and makes sense. I would really like to point out the masterful way Niamh constructed the story. It was highly credible and it kept me reading, page after page. Although some parts of the book is quite predictable, the twists and surprises made up for me.

The majority of the book is set in San Francisco, so it was a really enjoyable experience exploring the hills and hot spots of San Francisco with Frankie. Niamh managed to evoke her memories in San Francisco with great detail, so at times, I felt like I was having coffee with Frankie in the dainty little cafe with a grouchy waitress with bushy eyebrows which have not met tweezers! It was an escapist story for me, I got the chance to hop on a plane and experience San Francisco with my new (fictional) friends!

Verdict:
If you're looking for a book to escape reality and float away on a magical adventure, then I think A Message to Your Heart is perfect for you. It promises a beautiful, enchanting tale of discovering yourself and fighting for what is right and never, ever take your loved ones for granted. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Rating : 5/5







EMILY BLUNT as Frankie.
I would love to see Emily Blunt portray Frankie if ever the book is adapted into a film!













ADRIAN GRENIER as John.
Not to spoil it for you, but I really had a strong feeling that Adrian Grenier would make the perfect John.

Comments