Book Review : Pedigree Mum by Fiona Gibson

Pedigree Mum by Fiona Gibson
Published by : Avon (28th Feb 2013)

Received a copy for review from publisher, thank you!

The blurb:
A straying husband. A broken heart. And a crazy rescue dog in a town of posh pooches…

When Kerry Tambini upped sticks with her family to a new home on the coast, she couldn’t have been happier. Then husband Rob made the biggest mistake of his life…

Stranded with her children in snooty Shorling, Kerry has plenty on her plate. So how can she say no to the kids' pleas for a dog when they're missing their father dreadfully? Will adopting a wayward hound lead Kerry to a new love – or has she bitten off more than she can chew?

As she steps back into the dating world Kerry must juggle her family, her neurotic dog and try to fit in with the local pedigree mums, making her a true heroine for our time.

Before Pedigree Mum, Fiona Gibson has written a few novels in her name. Being relatively new to the industry, I've only started to notice her books in the bookstores here, since her change to Avon. OK, since I have not read any of Fiona's books, I decided to give them a try. I have Mum on the Run in my shelf, and I picked Pedigree Mum first.

I am an owner of three rambunctious dogs, an adorable Golden Retriever, a Rottie and a mixed. So I guess Pedigree Mum really appealed to me as I've been enjoying books with dogs as characters in the book. I know, I'm a nut case.

What I thought about it:
Have you ever read a book that is just a breeze? You read it and before you know it, you have zoomed to the end of the story unknowingly? That is exactly how I felt when I was reading Pedigree Mum. I was so absorbed in the book, I hardly acknowledged the page number until I realised I needed a break!

Pedigree Mum is about Kerry, mother to two adorable children, the sharp-tongued Freddie and super sweet Mia, who moves to her aunt's house in Shorling-on-Sea. Just as things are going to plan, her husband Rob, does the most despicable thing a husband could ever do to his wife. Heartbroken, she decides to stay in Shorling, even though she is still new to the town, she manages to make friends, in the most unlikely ways!

To be honest, I really liked how easy I could get lost in the book. It was well-paced and every chapter was cohesively crafted, pinging back and forth between events. The book is divided between Kerry's life in Shorling, where she meets the locals and helps her children fit in and Rob's life in London as a failing journalist without a family to go home to.

The characters in the book were a wonderful bunch. I really liked how Kerry could keep it together after discovering the terrible news. A great mother, soft and kind, loving and adoring. I guess I really warmed up to her immediately. And her children, Freddie and Mia were such darlings, getting on with their shenanigans and their presence in the book makes it livelier and fun. Other characters including James and Harvey were really lovely male characters to read about! Not to forget Buddy! He's such an amazing addition to the cast, he's almost human!

The book is set in an idyllic seaside town, which is really refreshing to read about. Sometimes you just need to leave the busy city and relax in the country and Pedigree Mum did that. I was transported to the picturesque town of Shorling, with the glorious beach and scenic ocean views! I really enjoyed Fiona Gibson's writing style, her usage of sarcasm tinged with humour has made me a fan of her books.

Verdict:
Pedigree Mum is a really warm, compelling novel on family ties and accepting apologies, even if it means allowing your heart to break a little. This lovely book appealed to me because I found it really easy to get used to the settings and characters.

Perfect for fans of Carole Matthews and Ella Griffin!

Rating : 4.5/5




GINNIFER GOODWIN as Kerry
Sweet, adoring and wonderfully motherly. I would definitely cast Ginnifer as Kerry! Hands down!

Comments

  1. Great review, I'm really looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dot! It's really good. I've treated my dogs better after reading this! xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment