Book Review : The Perfect Retreat by Kate Forster

The Perfect Retreat by Kate Forster
Published by : Avon (14th Mar 2013)

Received a copy from the publisher for review, thank you!

The blurb: 
Willow Carruthers – British Oscar winner, style icon and mother of three is facing a crisis: she’s broke, discovery of her partner’s infidelity has left her a single mother and, if the banks have their way, she’s about to be homeless.

Meanwhile nanny to Wilow’s children Kitty, is desperate to keep her job and knows just the place they can retreat too – her crumbling ancestral home in the Bristol countryside, Middlemist House.

To both women in their hour of need, the idea of leaving LA seems brilliant in theory, until Kitty’s brother Merritt returns home unannounced.

From London to L.A, The Perfect Retreat is pure escapism - full of sex, scandal and intrigue.

What I thought about it:
I adored Kate Forster's debut novel, The Perfect Location which was out last year. It was scandalous and saucy, with the right amount of suspense and of course, sex. It's a bonkbuster thing. You'll know more about it. When I got a copy of her latest, I was chuffed to have received a copy to read and review (duh.).

The Perfect Retreat is about an actress who has fallen of her fame pedestal and is struggling with motherhood and her marriage to her once love of her life, Kerr. Juggling her double life (mum and celebrity) and settling her divorce after her husband's ultimate betrayal, she packs up everything and flees to her nanny, Kitty's ancestral home as she would be homeless due to her financial crisis.

I admit, I really didn't warm up to Willow at first. I was more towards being a middle person, where I would follow the story and decide. However, I really liked Kitty, despite being the complete opposite to Willow who is an Oscar winner, I could warm up to her kind and good-hearted nature. As the book progressed, I did like Willow bit by bit. Then when Merritt appears, the lovely, benevolent side of Willow surfaces, that's when I realised I liked her.

The characters in the book are of a wonderful cast. Willow's children are just adorable, I would definitely lose my sanity if I had to deal with them, but children are children! The book has its fair share of antagonists too, so beware and calm down, karma exists! I was so thrilled when a few special characters made a cameo appearance in the novel!

Verdict:
This is a fast-paced novel which will sweep you off your feet along with the crazy, honest life of a celebrity where fame comes with a price. A brilliant tale of redemption and fighting for what you love. Perfect for fans of Rebecca Chance and the Bagshawe sisters!

Rating :5/5





NICOLE KIDMAN as Willow
That's just the way I imagined Willow. Oscar winning actress, beautiful and elegant.







CAREY MULLIGAN as Kitty
Kitty is a really sweet, young girl and I think Carey would fit her role perfectly.

Comments

  1. Thank you Kevin, you're very kind. I love the idea of Carey also. A perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment