Book Review : The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris by Jenny Colgan

The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris by Jenny Colgan
Published by : Sphere (14th Mar 2013)

Received a copy for review from the Malaysian distributor, thank you!

The blurb:
As dawn breaks over the Pont Neuf, and the cobbled alleyways of Paris come to life, Anna Trent is already awake and at work; mixing and stirring the finest, smoothest, richest chocolate; made entirely by hand, it is sold to the grandes dames of Paris. 

It's a huge shift from the chocolate factory she worked in at home in the north of England. But when an accident changed everything, Anna was thrown back in touch with her French teacher, Claire, who offered her the chance of a lifetime - to work in Paris with her former sweetheart, Thierry, a master chocolatier. 

With old wounds about to be uncovered and healed, Anna is set to discover more about real chocolate - and herself - than she ever dreamed.

What I thought about it:
Personally, I am a fan of Jenny Colgan's books. What's not to love? A lovely, warm heroine, FOOD, and of course, romance. Winner of the RoNA for Romantic Comedy, twice! So I guess I knew what to expect in the new Jenny Colgan novel, which is The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris. I adored her previous novels, including Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe and its sequel, Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe and Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams, all very delightful novels.

The book follows Anna Trent's life after a horrendous accident which was all too gross, imagine industrial chocolate incorporated with blood. Ew. So, while recovering in the hospital, she has an unlikely friendship with her former French teacher, Claire who is plagued by cancer. As the days go by, they become closer. Then suddenly, Anna is offered a chance of a lifetime, to help Claire's former lover in his chocolate shop. In Paris! Can anyone say anything other than spectacular?

I really loved every page of this wonderful love story. The majority of the book is written from Anna's point of view. Though, you'd be surprised to find that the story goes back to the 1970s, to find out how Claire falls in love with the charming Thierry. As usual, typical of Jenny Colgan to create a warm, lovely bunch of characters, who are either funny or incredibly warm, take Anna for instance - kind, loyal and sweet. I do love it when I can warm up to the characters immediately and in this book, I did!

However, unlike her previous novels, The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris is on another level. I adored its simplicity, the way the story was told from Anna's perspective was simply beautiful. How Jenny described the beautiful, scenic places in Paris was just amazing. Lover of all things Parisian and French, I thought this delectably fabulous book was too good to pass up! Some parts made me want to cuddle and hug someone because I loved it so much, some parts made me swoon and some made my tummy grumble. Oops. I admit, the ending was really moving, it had me tearing up. Such a wonderfully warm book!

Verdict:
This book is utterly magical. I loved every page of it. A heartwarming tale of finding love and holding on to love, all thanks to Paris, the unbelievably gorgeous city of amour! If you're on a strict chocolate diet, read this. At least it'll not only satisfy your need for chick lit but your hunger for rich, deliciously smooth chocolat! Another sparkling winner by Jenny Colgan, the best one by her so far. Loved it!

Rating : 5/5






CLEMENCE POESY as Anna
I think she's a stunner, non? I know, Anna is supposed to be British but Clemence fits her so well!















ORLANDO BLOOM as Laurent
Did someone say sexy? Oh, yes. You meant Orlando, didn't you? Not French, but jaw-droppingly gorgeous, that is all.

Comments

  1. Oh this book sounds so brilliant! I can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you got me even more excited about this novel! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU WILL LOVE THIS. Of course, have some chocolate too while reading it x

      Delete
  3. Fab review! I loved this one too - it's definitely my favourite of Jenny's books so far :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment