Book Review: By My Side by Alice Peterson

By My Side by Alice Peterson
Published by: Quercus (18th Jul 2013)

Received a review copy from publisher, thank you!

The blurb:
One step can change everything… 

Cass Brooks loves her job, her boyfriend Sean, her life. Until, leaving home one morning, distracted and hungover, she steps into the path of a truck. 

When she wakes up, she can’t walk. And suddenly all her hopes and dreams, the plans she’d made with Sean, the future she thought she’d have, seem out of her reach. 

But then fate intervenes again. Cass meets Ticket, a loyal golden Labrador who refuses to leave her side. And on a flight to Colorado, she sits next to Charlie, who believes he can show her a life full of possibilities, if only she’ll let him. 

Cass wants her life back the way it was. Charlie knows this cannot be. Yet a future beckons all the same...

Why you would love this:
This is the first book I've read by Alice Peterson and it has literally blown me away. I'm telling you, it's absolutely amazing! From the start, I was immediately absorbed by the book and I knew I would be reading something spectacular and I was right!

By My Side follows the story of Cass Brooks, a twenty-something medicine student who seemed to have everything going her way - perfect boyfriend who loves her, the flatmate anyone and everyone would die for and doing what she loves. One morning, distracted and hungover, she steps into the path of a truck and she's paralysed from waist down. She can no longer walk, run or do the things she has taken for granted.

First of all, I would like to point out that I really loved Cass. Never in my life have I come across such an honest character. Right from the start, my heart went out to her when she discovered that she wouldn't be able to walk or use her legs any more. What I've learnt from Cass is that you shouldn't hold back in life and when you're down, always look at the silver lining. I really liked how Cass seemed to be strong and independent even though she is held back. I really admired how Cass managed to carry herself throughout the book and she is truly an inspiration.

Though the cover may suggest a light and humorous story, but don't let it deceive you. The book has some issues which are often overlooked, such as ramps for wheelchair users, people abusing the rights of the disabled such as parking spots and mostly everyday things we deign to think about. By My Side has opened my eyes and it's filled with a perfect balance of light and dark humour. I really enjoyed reading about Cass's relationship with her fellow Canine Partner friends, they are really wonderful characters to read and learn about.

I guess this is the part where I gush on my "doggy crush"? His name is Ticket and he's got light golden fur and he's so handsome, he spoils me rotten with all of his sweet, caring antics. I loved Ticket. His presence in the book was the highlight of the book for me. My heart warmed when I read about the amazing things he could do and his unconditional love to Cass. I guess it gets to me because I do have a Golden Retriever and he's absolutely charming! A must-read for dog lovers too!

Verdict:
Moment of truth - I LOVED it. It was brilliant from the start to finish and I am so happy to report that By My Side definitely has a place in my heart. It was immensely awe-inspiring to read about the battles Cass has to endure to fit into the society and if she were a real person, I would have given her a hug and told her what a truly inspirational person she is!

By My Side is warm, beautifully written and you will no doubt be moved to tears. I can't recommend it highly enough. Definitely deserves a spot on my list of all-time favourites. This book won't be the last of Alice's for me. I am looking forward to her previous ones and I can tell you this: looks like I've got another new favourite author!

Rating: 5/5





RACHEL MCADAMS as Cass
Yes, I think I've developed a sort of crush on Rachel. She's gorgeous, can you blame me?
















JAMES MCAVOY as Charlie
OK, I know I didn't mention about Charlie in my review, but I wouldn't want to spoil it for you!

Comments

  1. OH MY GOD! James McAvoy is the PERFECT Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I read this book for no other reason, it will be for the brilliant dog. Truth. But let's face it, there's a brilliant story in those pages awaiting me when I get back in the mood and find the time again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I adored Ticket. And Cass was a brilliant heroine. And Charlie. *swoon*

      Delete

Post a Comment