Book Review : Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns by Lauren Weisberger

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns by Lauren Weisberge

Published by: Simon & Schuster (US) (4th Jun 2013)/ Harper (UK) (20th Jun 2013)

An early birthday pressie from my aunt, thank you! 

The blurb: 
Almost a decade has passed since Andy Sachs quit the job “a million girls would die for” working for Miranda Priestly at Runway magazine—a dream that turned out to be a nightmare. Andy and Emily, her former nemesis and co-assistant, have since joined forces to start a highend bridal magazine. The Plunge has quickly become required reading for the young and stylish. Now they get to call all the shots: Andy writes and travels to her heart’s content; Emily plans parties and secures advertising like a seasoned pro.

Even better, Andy has met the love of her life. Max Harrison, scion of a storied media family, is confident, successful, and drop-dead gorgeous. Their wedding will be splashed across all the society pages as their friends and family gather to toast the glowing couple. Andy Sachs is on top of the world.

But karma’s a bitch. The morning of her wedding, Andy can’t shake the past. And when she discovers a secret letter with crushing implications, her wedding-day jitters turn to cold dread. Andy realizes that nothing—not her husband, nor her beloved career—is as it seems. She never suspected that her efforts to build a bright new life would lead her back to the darkness she barely escaped ten years ago—and directly into the path of the devil herself...

What I thought about it:
*jumps up and down* I've finally read the highly anticipated sequel to the best-selling phenomenon, The Devil Wears Prada! To be honest, I think I was really lucky as the bookstores here are stocking "international export editions" which I knew I must have! So I got this from my lovely aunt as an early birthday present and I started on it immediately!

Revenge Wears Prada continues where The Devil Wears Prada, ten years later since that fateful day Andy told Miranda to "f*ck off" on a Parisian street. Ouch, bummer, crap, whammy! But surely one does not forget the dark shadows that loom over them in the form of Miranda Priestly, surely. Ten years on, happily engaged and soon to be married to her gorgeous fiancé, and co-owner of the hottest high-end wedding magazine, The Plunge, Andy is still haunted by Miranda.

I LOVED The Devil Wears Prada. I thought the film was absolutely fantastic too. You have to agree that Meryl portrayed Miranda very well. So I had a great time reliving my The Devil Wears Prada memories while reading its sequel. What can I say about it to make you NOT buy it? Come on, it's THE sequel to one of the quintessential books in chick lit which moulded the genre. I won't compare it with other books because Lauren Weisberger is a class of her own.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading Revenge (let's call it that, shall we?). It feels really good to read about characters you are familiar with. That's the thing I love most about books in series, familiarity. The portrayal of Andy in the sequel was splendid as she is more matured, level-headed compared to the first book. Note: Revenge is written from a third person's/narrative perspective, but don't be forlorn and think, "OH NO! WHY?!", because it's just as good as it can ever get. Though I admit, I missed the witty remarks and sarcastic one-liners by Ahn-dre-ah. Fret not, I think writing her stories from a narrator's POV really amplifies Lauren's writing style. She manages to weave her characters' thought into the plot and even the dialogues perfectly. I really liked how Lauren managed to drop a bombshell at the end of chapters, enticing me to read on and see what happens. Clever move, Lauren.

A glamorous read. Truly. Again, with the Upper East Side of Manhattan as its setting, the book never failed to give off an aura of high fashion and coveted luxuries. Oh, how I dream of living the lifestyle of the rich and fabulously dressed. There would be a few cameo appearances by actual celebrities, so keep a look out, guys!

Verdict:
It's the sequel of The Devil Wears Prada. It's Lauren Weisberger. I can't recommend it highly enough. I urge you to read it because it really satisfied my insatiable desire for a book that could sweep me off my feet. And Revenge Wears Prada did that.

I was blown away by the glitz and glamour of the fashion/publishing world. I aspire to live in Manhattan and this book gave me the inspiration, the boost I needed. I aspire to be a writer like Andy. I would want to work with someone like Miranda (her brilliance as an editor, not her as a tyrannous sadist, that is). Once again, Lauren has made me fall in love with her books. I am now a proud owner of ALL her books. That's all.

Rating: 5/5

I don't think I need to include the pictures of the actors I imagined in the book? To be honest, the casting director made the best choices. Anne Hathaway portrayed Andy really well. And I will never forget how brilliant Meryl Streep was as Miranda. OK, fine. THERE.

Comments

  1. Ooo I can't wait to read this. I LOVED The Devil Wears Prada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://twitter.com/eema2emma/status/342331717778042880

    I had to do an MT because it's too long to RT with the magazine name too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I retweeted and put my magazine name at the beginning of the tweet. =] I can't wait to read this book. Love your site, btw! I have found so many great books based on your reviews. =]

    https://twitter.com/xxpaperhearts/status/342361820302024707

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I forgot there was a giveaway and read the review! :D Totally need to read book one... AND TWO! Yay. I'm not in US/CA so just pretend I'm not here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Hannah. YOU! Ha ha. Yes, highly recommend it!

      Delete
  5. Where do you find bookstores that stock "international export editions"??? I would go crazy in that bookstore since I love so many UK authors!!

    I saw the Devil Wears Prada, the movie and was afraid to read the book because the movie was so fantastic - now that I know the book is just as great, I'm going to go read it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So want to read this will tweet.lomazowr@gmail.com Twitter follower@rhondareads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to reading Revenge Wears Prada!
    littleone AT shaw DOT ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy, very glad to read you enjoyed it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. New follower because you read all the books I love reading too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This.Sounds.AWESOME. I freaking ADORED Miranda and Andy too. Remember Miranda's assistant she passed over for a major promotion? Whats that guys name..Niles? I loved him. Is he is this book?
    I must get this book. NOW. I always wondered what happened after the fact. Thank you so much for this awesome review and your blog keeps me UTD with my chick lit books :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment