Book Review : Save The Date! by Allie Spencer

Save The Date! by Allie Spencer
Published by: Arrow (20th Jun 2013)

Received a copy for review from the publisher, thank you!

The blurb:
Family weddings can be hell…

...and, marooned in Italy for her cousin's nuptials, Ailsa can be forgiven for thinking that this one is worse than most. With the bride and groom at loggerheads and the guests in uproar, it is a million miles away from the rest and relaxation she'd been hoping for.

And then suddenly, in the middle of the mayhem, she comes face-to-face with Nick, the man she walked out on just a few months earlier.

How can Ailsa help get the wedding back on track when she and Nick can't stop arguing? But if they do, she might remember why she fell in love with him in the first place - and then there really would be trouble.


What I thought about it:
First of all, if you've read Allie Spencer's previous books, namely Summer Nights, which I enjoyed immensely, then Save The Date! would be the perfect follow-up if you're looking for a light, summery read. Nothing like a fabulous beach read which will get you in the mood for summer.

Save The Date! follows the story of Ailsa, a sweet, lovable heroine in her thirties, having just got off from a disastrous relationship. She's heartbroken for what happened and the perfect cure comes in the form of an all-expenses paid trip to Italy to attend her kooky cousin, Jessica's wedding. And from then on, it's bye-bye Scotland and hello, sunshine! But things turn for the worse when she comes face-to-face with Nick, the man she walked out on. Her plans to soak up the sun and enjoy the Tuscan sun are vanished as they try their hardest to not bite off each other's heads.

I really warmed up to Ailsa from the beginning. She was funny, warm and without a doubt, a lovely character to read about. I liked how she carried herself throughout the book. She's quick-thinking, clever and some parts of her reminded me of Becky Bloomwood! Although at times, I had the strongest urge to yell at her for being so silly, I guess it's just her. Allie managed to create such a "real" character, I almost felt obliged to be her best friend and make sensible choices for her! One particular hero I loved would be Arthur. Yes, he's amazing. I fell in love with him and I'm sure you would too!

In Save The Date!, the majority of the book is set in Italy, so brace yourself for that deep longing for summer sunshine and relaxing on the Mediterranean beach, with a light, sassy book! Because this book certainly gives out that vibe! Allie really outdone herself with loads of "accidents" and "coincidences", which were mostly orchestrated by someone you least expect to.

The way Allie describes the gorgeous surroundings through Ailsa's eyes, I was wonderstruck. I love Europe. I would definitely want to visit Italy in the future and her totally accurate descriptions of the beautiful stucco buildings, picturesque sea to the hotel Ailsa stays in, I mean, WOW! It certainly had whetted my desire for a well-deserved holiday!

Verdict:
If you need some sunshine in your life right now, you should pick this little "pick-me-up" as it's fun, exciting and hilarious! It could definitely give you the sunshine you need on a rainy, moody day. And Save The Date! is definitely the best summer holiday companion, plus the cover's swoon-worthy (copyrighted), no? I absolutely enjoyed it. It had me laughing one minute and blushing when Ailsa gets her romantic happy ending!

Rating : 5/5

 

JENNIFER GARNER as Ailsa
It's been a while since I've since Jen on the silver screen and I just remembered how much I loved her in 13 Going On 30!














MATT BOMER as Nick
Hi, reader. Meet Matt "Sex on Legs" Bomer.

Comments

  1. Another fabulous review Kevin! I really like the sound of this one, I will add it to my never-ending wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, it sounds like the perfect summer read :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this soooo much.

    I've nominated you for an award http://iheartsbooks.wordpress.com/2013/06/23/liebster-award-ive-been-nominated/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment