Book Review: Frisky Business by Clodagh Murphy

Frisky Business by Clodagh Murphy
Published by: Hachette Ireland (1st Jul 2013)

Received a copy for review by the author, thanks, mammy!

The blurb:  
Romy Fitzgerald's life is firmly on track. She runs a successful business, has great friends and knows what she wants. That was until her father died. Suddenly she's not sure about anything anymore.

So when she has a one-night stand at a party with a stranger dressed as Darth Vader, she tells him things she's never told anyone before... about herself and her father's death. They'll never see each other again so her secrets are safe, right?

Until Romy realises that she's pregnant with Darth Vader's baby and now she has to face some awkward questions about what really happened the night of Luke's conception.

Romy's going to have to come clean, but when her ex-boyfriend Kit Masterson returns from New York and seems happy to go along with the charade of playing the part of Luke's father, it seems like the answer to her prayers. Kit was the love her life, and maybe her secrets, and the true identity of Darth Vader, can stay hidden forever.

But Kit has his own reasons for coming home and buying into the ready-made family. And as masks slip and true identities show, Romy and Kit quickly discover that in real life secrets never stay hidden, especially when it comes to love..

Why you would love this:
I've received a SIGNED copy of this a while ago and I can't believe I didn't find the time to read it before this. What with my ever-growing pile of books to review and also my own personal habit of buying one too many books per trip to the bookstore. So, I finally took the liberty to read it before its paperback release. And I regret not having read it earlier, for that, I pinched myself.

Frisky Business follows the story of Romy, who is finally settling down with her life after her father's death. She is a single mother to Luke, who was conceived on one fateful night during a heated sexual encounter with Darth Vader (it was a Hallow'een Party). A year later, Romy is keen to find out who was behind the mask and goes on a quest to hunt him down. The arrival of her old flame, Kit is the perfect addition to spice things up!

From the start, I warmed up to Romy immediately. She clearly knows what she's doing and even though she finds herself in sticky predicaments, which involves sex manuals (not telling you!), she manages to turn it around to her way. Sometimes, she reminds me of a Sophie Kinsella heroine! She's a really wonderful character to read about as she leads your through her search of Darth Vader. Her friends, Lesley and May were really great additions to the story, not to leave out Danny, Romy's brother. He is just adorable!

The book is cleverly pieced together because it leads you through to the important bits, as well as other sub-plots, like Romy's father's passing, Danny's love life and May's colourful past! Clodagh manipulates readers to think that they may know who Darth Vader is, but at some points, you aren't so sure because the plot thickens and you are forced to read on to find out more! I couldn't believe I was expecting for more when I've turned the last page. I was gutted when it finished. Of course, everyone got their own happy ending.

Verdict:
A delightful mix of humour and poignancy. I really couldn't put it down. I took it with me to dinner on day, and I had to fight against time so that I could read as much as I could before the sun set! I was completely hooked and I was so excited to find out who DV was, I finished it too quickly... It was THAT good. I will be looking forward to Clodagh's next book, which will be out soon, I hope!

Rating: 5/5




EMMY ROSSUM as Romy
Sweet and charming. Look at that smile!

As for the hero, I can't spoil it for you, so you may imagine whoever you like: tall, extremely handsome and sexy!

Comments

Post a Comment