Book Review: The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell

The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell
Published by: Century (18th Jul 2013)

Received a copy for review from the publisher, thank you!

The blurb:
Meet the Bird Family

All four children have an idyllic childhood: a picture-book cottage in a country village, a warm, cosy kitchen filled with love and laughter, sun-drenched afternoons in a rambling garden.

But one Easter weekend a tragedy strikes the Bird family that is so devastating that, almost imperceptibly, it begins to tear them apart.

The years pass and the children become adults and begin to develop their own quite separate lives. Soon it's almost as though they've never been a family at all.

Almost. But not quite.

Because something has happened that will call them home, back to the house they grew up in - and to what really happened that Easter weekend all those years ago.

Why you would love this:
Aside from The House We Grew Up In, I only read The Truth About Melody Browne which was a really gripping book, right from the start. I haven't read any of Lisa's books until The House We Grew Up In, and I could only tell you how much it has affected me. It's a powerful book, this book.

The House We Grew Up In follows the story of the Bird family, consisting of Colin and Lorelei with their children, Meg, Bethan and twin brothers Rory and Rhys. The time frame of the book spans for almost 30 years and the story revolves around Easter Day every year. But after a tragic incident, Easter Day at the Bird household has never been the same.

Since reading the blurb, my interest was piqued by the "tragedy" so my mind was plagued with many different scenarios to guess what that tragedy was. But sadly, Lisa Jewell has managed to outsmart me by dropping the biggest bombshell that left me reeling from shock. The emotions that were dealt with in the book was powerful and raw, leaving me to ponder on several thoughts. What happens next? Will they still be a happy family? How will this affect the others?

The characters were very different from each other so you will find that each of them has their own story and decisions to make as the story progresses. My favourite character has to be Meg, I could definitely see her as a central character, since she is the eldest of the bunch, but also the most headstrong and self-assured. Initially, I didn't understand why Lorelei (their mother), holds onto so many things - things she doesn't need, things which are broken and easily replaced. She is a hoarder. But the reason behind it is actually quite moving.

The book discusses quite a few issues, though this book might be classified as women's fiction, I found it rather thought-provoking and riveting. I was keen to find out from every character's perspective. Issues such as homosexuality and adultery are mentioned in the book.

Verdict:
It's been a while since I've read Lisa Jewell's books and I'm impressed that she is a much more skilled writer now. It won't be fair for me to say that she's improved momentously, but all I know is, if this is what she's capable of writing, then I wouldn't be surprised if she could level Jojo Moyes.

A powerful tale of family ties and loss. Sometimes we take things for granted, only to find out that we've got too much to lose. But it all comes down to remembering and living the moment, a life without regrets. An incredibly poignant novel with a beautifully written plot about the intricacies of families that will leave you thinking of your loved ones, whether the ones you've hurt or the ones you've lost.

Rating: 4.5/5






EMMA THOMPSON as Lorelei
OK, it was either Diane Lane or Emma. For me, I think Emma would be perfect for the role of Lorelei. Read the book and see if you agree with me!

Comments

  1. Brilliant review, Kev! I've never read this author before but I really want to check this book out! You mentioning she could level Jojo Moyes has really piked my interest as I love Jojo's books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment