Book Review: Coco's Secret by Niamh Greene

Coco's Secret by Niamh Greene
Published by: Michael Joseph - Penguin (15th Aug 2013)

Received a copy for review from the publisher, thank you!

The blurb:
Coco Swan has always been embarrassed by her name. 

With a name like Coco, she thinks people expect her to be as exotic and glamorous as the famous designer, not an ordinary-looking small-town antiques dealer who could win an award for living cautiously.

But when a vintage Chanel handbag turns up in a box of worthless bric-a-brac, Coco's quiet world is turned upside down. Where did it come from? And is it just coincidence that it's the same bag Coco's late mother always wanted for her? 

When Coco discovers a mysterious, decades-old letter hidden in the bag's lining, she sets off on a quest to piece together the story behind it, stumbling across secrets that span three generations as she goes.  

Could the beautiful Chanel bag be about to teach Coco more than she wants to learn? Or will it show her just where her heart can take her if she lets it lead the way? 

Why you would love this:
I adored A Message to Your Heart by Niamh Greene so I had high hopes for Coco's Secret. It turns out, Coco's Secret tops Niamh's previous book. The blurb sounds amazing, a vintage Chanel bag, a letter hidden in a secret compartment. The plot practically enticed me so I knew I had to read it as soon as I can!

Coco's Secret follows the story of antiques shop dealer, Coco Swan who has a passion for vintage items, of all sorts, you name it. Raised by her grandparents as her mother travels all around Europe to search for pieces for the family shop. Coco isn't who she seems. The name Coco might give you the impression that she is gorgeous, chic and impeccably dressed. But no, Coco Swan is nothing like that.

Right from the start of the book, I warmed up to Coco already. She had the air of a warm and funny friend and I think we would be great friends. I liked how down-to-earth she is, what a good friend she is to her friends and her incredible relationship with her grandmother, who insists on being called Ruth instead.

The characters in the book were a ball to read about, with each one of them intertwined in the little town of Dromore. They were such lovely, wonderful characters as their presence in the book has contributed to making the book a warm and inviting read. My favourite has to be Coco's grandmother, Ruth. Gosh, I loved how lively she was. Her sassy attitude and her being a free spirit certainly adds a certain sparkle to her character!

I wouldn't want to give much away but I was really carried away by the plot. I was so immersed with the story, that I knew I had to finish it to reach the ending. Would Coco reunite the letter to its rightful owner? Who is the letter addressed to? Whose Chanel 2.55 bag is it? The ending was the perfect summing up of the story. I even had tears in my eyes when Coco reunites the letter to its recipient. Just simply amazing.

Verdict:
An incredible breath of fresh air, this. I adored the plot and was whisked away by the magic of Chanel bag. Niamh Greene managed to whisked me away in her beautiful and well thought-out plot and her characters made me wish for friends like them. A heartwarming tale about self-discovery - I highly recommend it to you if you're a fan of Claudia Carroll and Jill Mansell.

Rating: 5/5




ISLA FISHER as Coco
I would definitely pick Isla as Coco as she's so funny and down-to-earth! And she's Becky Bloomwood, right?

Comments

  1. Fantastic review, I love the sound of this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dot! Hope you get the chance to read it :) x

      Delete

Post a Comment