Book Review: Take A Look At Me Now by Miranda Dickinson

Take A Look At Me Now by Miranda Dickinson
Published by: Avon (24th Oct 2013)

Received a copy for review from publisher, thank you!

Blurb:
What a difference a day makes…

Nell Sullivan has always been known as ‘Miss Five-Year Plan’. But when she finds herself jobless and newly single on the same day, Nell decides it is time to stop planning and start taking chances.

Nell blows her redundancy cheque on a trip of lifetime to a place where anything is possible – San Francisco. There she meets a host of colourful characters, including the intriguing and gorgeous Max. Very soon the city begins to feel like Nell’s second home.

But when it’s time to return to London, will she leave the ‘new Nell’ behind? And can the magic of San Francisco continue to sparkle thousands of miles away?

Why you would love this:
Oh, my life! I was so thrilled when I got a copy of Miranda's latest for review. You have no idea how much I love her books and Take A Look At Me Now is so far her best! I read this book in two days, these two days which I should be studying, but hell, Take A Look At Me Now is one of my most anticipated books this year and I simply couldn't wait!

Take A Look At Me Now follows the story of Nell Sullivan, a thirty-two year old assistant planning director who is made redundant, alongside her other colleagues. Feeling despondent, she decides to invest all of her redundancy windfall on a trip of a lifetime to San Francisco. Soon, the city where the Golden Gate Bridge is housed becomes Nell's second home. There, she meets the most unlikely group of friends and as her days are numbered, could she find the heart to return to London?

This is the absolute AMAZEBALLS. I can't express how much I loved it. I adored the heroine in the book, Nell. Who knew adopting another city as your second home could change you? Nell is like every rom-com protagonist you will grow to love. She's funny, down-to-earth and spontaneous and she and I share the same childhood film: Mrs Doubtfire! She was the best guide to San Francisco anyone could ask for. The characters in the book were everything you can expect from a Miranda Dickinson novel. Some are kooky, insane and downright hilarious, some are warm, welcoming and friendly. There are a lovely, whimsical bunch and I can assure you, you'll love them, especially the Alfaros, a kind and eccentric old couple.

The romance between Nell and Max would make Richard Curtis film look bad. I cannot tell you what wonderful dates Max has in store for Nell and you will definitely fall in love with dear sweet Max! *cheeky grin* Or maybe Richard would take up on directing a film adaptation of Take A Look At Me Now - surely it would be a massive hit!

I felt that the book moved a well-timed pace and every chapter was as exciting and fun-filled as the last. I really didn't want the book to end, but I was desperate to read Nell's happy ending. Like all good things, they must come to an end. I just knew I couldn't get enough of it and I loved reading about Nell's adventure in San Francisco! And I really enjoyed reading all about the scrumptious delicacies San Francisco had to offer, especially at Annie's! (I hope that place really exists. I would love some of those divine French toast!)

All in all, I can't recommend this gem highly enough. Take A Look At Me Now is a truly inspiring tale of a girl who doesn't let life knock her down and fighting through all the way with sheer determination and willingness to fulfil her dreams. Another sparkling book by Miranda Dickinson where a little bit of magic, a bottomless cup of delicious coffee and yummy French toast could brighten your day!

Rating: 10/10
 
Amy Adams as Nell and the yummy Bradley Cooper as Max

Comments