Author Interview: Meet.. Alexandra Potter!

I had the most wonderful privilege to interview the author of 10 (and counting...) romantic comedies, a household name in the genre, the ever lovely Alexandra Potter! We chatted about her latest book, The Love Detective, which is the first book in her new series, and her experience as a writer!
 
1. Could you please tell us about your new book, The Love Detective?
 
It's the first in a new series and it's about romance novelist, Ruby Miller. She writes about happy ever after's, but when her fiancé jilts her, she realises she doesn't believe in love any more. Here's a little taster from the back of the book..
 
“People always ask me what kind of books I write and I guess you’d call them love stories, but I also think of them as mysteries. After all, what makes two people fall in love? I’ve written three novels and I’m still looking for the answers. In a way, I’m a bit of a love detective. Because what’s a greater mystery than love?”

Romance novelist, Ruby Miller has lost her faith in love. In an effort to forget her cheating ex and clear her writer’s block, she joins her sister for a week’s beach holiday in Goa . . . and embarks on an extraordinary adventure. A runaway sister, stolen bags and a handsome American stranger sweep Ruby into a magical mystery tour across India. Amidst fortresses and fortune tellers, and a whirlwind of weddings, her search to find her sister uncovers fascinating stories of love, lost and found. But as the mysteries deepen, secrets are revealed that turn Ruby's life upside down. And what started as a journey to find her sister, becomes a journey to find herself - and love - again.
 
2. What inspired you to write The Love Detective?
 
I have been wanting to write a series for a long time, but I just couldn't think of a good enough idea, that would combine all the elements that I love in storytelling - romance, comedy, and that touch of magic. Then I had the idea for THE LOVE DETECTIVE, which combines all of these. I also wanted to set each book in a brand new location, which would combine my love of travel and also because there are so many wonderful love legends around the world. So the first book is set in India, the next one is set in Paris, and the third one... well I haven't decided yet!
 
3. What was your most favourite part to write?
 
I really enjoyed writing all of this book. It was fun from start to finish! I loved creating the character of Ruby and writing about her meeting with the handsome American, Jack...but if I had to choose my favourite, I think writing about India and especially Rajasthan (where I had spent a month researching) was really fantastic.
 
Rajasthan
4. Throughout your writing process, did you come across any new experiences that would assist you in writing your future novels?
 
This is my tenth book, so I have a certain routine to my writing process. I usually try to plot out the entire book before I start writing. And I am always so impatient I start writing before I've worked out all the details. This time, however, I found myself really stuck in the middle of the novel, and I realised that I really must plot out the ENTIRE novel, not just the beginning and the end! :) Hopefully this is what I'm going to do when I start writing my next book...
 
5. Describe your writing day in 5 words.
 
Coffee. Emails. MacBook Air. Bath.
 
6. Do you write what you read?
 
Yes. I write romantic comedies and I love everything that is either romantic or comedic or both! Favourite books include Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, The Time Traveller's Wife, One Day and Bridget Jones.
 
7. What are your thoughts on your books being called “chick lit”?
 
Part of me finds it irritating that any book, written by a female and read my a female is called 'chick lit', whereas a book written by a man and read by a man is not called 'dude lit'. Chick lit isn't taken as seriously as other literature, which is unfair as its extremely popular and a lot of it is very well-written. But then the other part of me doesn't care what it's called, all I care about are my readers and what they think of my books. If they like my books and enjoy them, that's all that counts!
 
8. If you weren’t a writer, what do you see yourself doing?
 
I have wanted to be a writer since childhood, so it's very difficult to imagine doing something else. I think it would always be connected with writing - perhaps teaching creative writing courses - or running a writing retreat somewhere in Italy or the south of France...

Comments