Author Interview: Meet.. Samantha Tonge!


I had the greatest privilege to interview the lovely Samantha Tonge, author of Doubting Abbey which is published by Carina, out now! Click here to get yourself a copy as it's only 98p!

1.  When did you develop a love for writing?
I loved reading as a child and remember writing a little illustrated book about hedgehogs! At the back of my mind I always knew one day I would give writing a go. But then life got busy and I didn’t seriously put pen to paper until my youngest started school, nine years ago.

2.  Could you tell us about your book, Doubting Abbey?
Doubting Abbey is a fun read (I hope!) about pizza waitress Gemma, who must pass herself off as posh friend Abbey for two weeks, in order to help run-down Applebridge Hall win the reality show Million Dollar Mansion. It was inspired by the TV show Downton Abbey – obviously! – and whilst being a humorous romance, it does touch on the themes of how relevant the term “lady” is nowadays, and how aristocrats currently struggle to maintain their stately homes.

3.  How long did you take to write your book?
Not long – about five months, including rewrites. But I burnt myself out writing around 70,000 words of it in six weeks, I think, which is a lot for me! I, um, also went up a dress size – but more about food later!

4.  Do you read what you write?
Yes, I love chick lit – although my reading levels have sunk since I write full-time. I am currently enjoying the latest Bridget Jones book, though. However I do also love reading teen Romance with Bite, and am an unashamed Twihard!


5.  Do you have an-all time favourite book? Would you mind sharing it with us?
I think my all-time favourite book – ooh, can I be greedy and have more than one? – is the entire Sophie Kinsella Shopoholic series. I love the main character and the writing is so accessible and funny.


6.  Are you a fan of peanut butter? If so, chunky or creamy?
Kevin, I can’t have peanut butter in the house, chunky or creamy, I would eat it with a spoon! But best is slathered on hot toast, mmm…


7.  What are the 3 foods you can’t live without when you’re in your writing zone?
Chocolate, biscuits and cake *sigh*. I keep meaning to turn macrobiotic…!

Comments