Book Review: The Proposal by Tasmina Perry

The Proposal by Tasmina Perry
Published by: Headline (7th Nov 2013)

Received a proof copy from the publisher, thank you!

Blurb:
Just say yes to this unforgettable read and take a spellbinding, romantic journey from the dazzling days of the debutantes in 1950s London to glamorous modern Manhattan.

When Amy Carrell's wealthy boyfriend ends their relationship just before Christmas, she's left to nurse her broken heart alone. With nothing to lose, she replies to an advertisement requesting a companion for a mysterious 'Manhattan adventure'.

Whisked off to New York with eccentric British aristocrat Georgia Hamilton, Amy experiences a glamorous side of the city that she's never seen before. Along the way, Georgia initiates her protegee in the arts of old-school elegance.

But as Georgia shares her life lessons, Amy discovers a painful secret in her mentor's past. A secret that shattered her future. A story of love and betrayal that only Amy has the power to put right.


Get your copy on Amazon now!

Why you would love this:
I've never read any of Tasmina Perry's books (*hangs head in shame*), but I am so thrilled I got the chance to read The Proposal! First of all, I'd like to thank Headline for sending me such a magical book. Trust me, it's one of my favourites this year, The Proposal!

The Proposal follows the story of two women: Amy, who is your average girl next door, struggling artist and always in the shadow of her boyfriend with his political career. Georgia, however, an aristocrat, former debuntante in the 1950s, has lived a life full of sorrow. When Georgia invites Amy to accompany her to Manhattan, Amy jumps at the chance. Little does she know, she's accepted a proposal beyond her expectations.

I can't tell you how much I thoroughly enjoyed The Proposal! If this is what Tasmina Perry is capable of, then I'm floored! The story is divided into two timelines, one in the present and another in the 1950s when Georgia was on her way to becoming a debuntante. I think Tasmina Perry has managed to create a beautiful story for readers to lose themselves in, where the plot flits from the past to the present and back, revealing more and more of Georgia's secretive past.

I don't wish to spoil it for you, but both Georgia and Amy are wonderfully-written characters. Each of them are different in their own ways, but somehow, there are similarities between them too. I think the characters in the book are a joy to read and London and Manhattan couldn't be more perfect as the setting of the book. Tasmina Perry has a flair for words, whatever she writes is absolutely enchanting - she's a natural storyteller.

The Proposal enraptured me. I loved it. The old, British aristocracy scene was deliciously decadent. Oh, my. Don't get me started on Edward. The. Most. Perfect. Man. Oh dear God. You'll definitely lose yourself in the throngs of beautiful gowns and soirées and there's definitely the sweet, passionate romance.

Utterly delectable and spellbinding. An absolute treat for you this Christmas as it's simply magical which will leave you with a smile on your face and a sparkle in your eye. Get ready to be whisked away to London in the 1950s where old glamour is gold and the perfect gentleman is the catch. Trust me, you'll definitely want to read and love The Proposal.

Rating: 9/10

AMY ADAMS as Amy and the legendary VANESSA REDGRAVE as Georgia

Comments

  1. Kev! Your review has me wanting to read this book so bad! It sounds wonderful, I'm going to have to get myself a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this next and even more excited after your review! You will have to read Tasmina's other books as they are fab!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment