Book Review: I Wished For You by Amy Huberman

I Wished For You by Amy Huberman
Publisher: Penguin (25th Oct 2012)

Received a copy for review from publisher, thank you!

Blurb:
Grace - who is at that age where there are six weddings a year and the question on everyone's lips is: who's next?

She and her boyfriend Robbie seem the perfect fit, but when he unexpectedly goes down on bended knee, Grace freaks out. Cue the mother of all meltdowns. 

On top of that, Grace's passion for fashion is not exactly fulfilled by her job - dressing well-to-do ladies with way more money than style. Cue - in her addled state after the bended knee fiasco - losing it in work, with disastrous consequences.

Into Grace's train-wreck of a life comes Verity - ex-Hollywood costume lady and vintage clothing queen. Verity is not called the Vintage Vixen for nothing: she has seen it all and done it all and her life makes Grace's look about as exciting as Songs of Praise. Verity tells Grace that the secret of happiness is to discover her 'heart wish'. If only Grace could work out what her heart's greatest wish really is ...

When Penguin Ireland offered me a review copy of I Wished For You, I knew I would want to read it because after reading the blurb, I was really excited to read what Amy Huberman had in store for readers.

I Wished For You follows the story of Grace, who is really pleased with her life, she's got a wonderful boyfriend, steady job (not-so-glamorous) and pretty content with where her life is going. But, all around her, her friends are getting hitched, one by one and the pressure is on. Things are good enough for her, her relationship with her long-term boyfriend is never better, but what if they can't handle married life?

Amy Huberman has created a really funny, down-to-earth heroine and she should be proud for doing so. I liked Grace, a lot. Armed with witty and snarky remarks, playful banter which sometimes could be a bit annoying, but never failed to make me laugh! I liked Verity too, a headstrong and wise old woman, who would provide Grace with sound advice. She's sensible and rational - the complete opposite of Grace who is carefree and jovial.

Bursting with humour and hilarious incidents, I Wished For You is insanely funny. I couldn't stop myself from reading it quickly. I really warmed to the characters and Amy Huberman's writing, which is fresh, sharp and incredibly amusing. I found the references to old Hollywood films really intriguing and the vintage clothes, oh my! Sheer opulence, if you ask me!

I Wished For You is funny, no, hilarious, romantic and indulgent. After reading it, I wanted put on pretty vintage dresses and say "All right, Mr Demille. I'm ready for my close-up..". Don't laugh! But if you read I Wished For You, I can guarantee you that you will be cackling away. Buckets of charm and witty humour, an enjoyable read, all together! If you're looking for a feel-good novel which will guarantee you a laugh, then look no further!

Rating: 7/10

Cameron Diaz as Grace (you'll see why) and Julie Walters as Verity

Comments