Book Review: Just A Girl, Standing In Front of A Boy by Lucy-Anne Holmes

Just A Girl, Standing In Front of A Boy by Lucy-Anne Holmes
Publisher: Sphere (30th Jan 2014)
Amazon || Goodreads

Received a copy for review from the publisher.

Blurb:
'My love story may not be the sort you read about in books or see in films . . . Love stories have glorious highs and ghastly lows. But when it comes to my own life, I'd have to say, you can keep your fabulous highs and I'll happily steer clear of the terrible lows.'

After a rocky start in life, Jenny Taylor, 27, star receptionist at the local doctors surgery, has things all worked out thanks to 'The Smiling Fanny Manifesto' - a list of 10 daily things she must do to keep the blues at bay. But her life is turned upside down when she meets aspiring musician Joe King. And reliable boyfriend Matt proposes. And then her mum leaves her dad and moves into Jenny's flat determined to 'bond'. 

Oh my pants! Lucy-Anne Holmes is finally back! Between running campaigns and handling the "No More Page Three" petition, she managed to write a book! There's nothing this woman CANNOT do! I've always been a massive fan of Lucy's books and I was so thrilled to have read her latest one, which is incredibly delightful!

Just A Girl, Standing In Front of A Boy follows the story of Jenny Taylor, who despite has a difficult time growing up, is finally achieved the life she's always wanted. With The Smiley Fanny Manifesto, she's living life happily and keeping the blues at bay. Suddenly, her life takes a 180 when her mother drops by unannounced, and her boyfriend Matt proposes. That's good, right? Well, the arrival of the charming rock star, Joe King couldn't makes things more complicating, or exciting..?

Lucy-Anne Holmes is one of my go-to authors when it comes to the well-loved genre. She has a knack at creating a wonderful and likeable heroine and the way she writes is just, comic genius. I could relate to her writing voice easily and I guess what makes her books unique is her catchy, witty sense of humour.

Once again, Lucy-Anne Holmes has managed to create wonderful characters that are equally charming and likeable. Right from the start, I knew I would like the heroine, Jenny, who is just, incredibly lovely and funny. The other characters, like her flatmate Al and her best friend Philippa were great additions to the plot. Ooh, don’t let me start on the ever charming and goofy Joe King. God, I really fell for him. Doing what she does best, Lucy-Anne Holmes created a hero who is so wonderfully dashing, you couldn’t help but fall for him.

From chapter one until the end, Just A Girl, Standing In Front of A Boy is filled with laugh-out-loud humour and moments where you will cry, cheer and those that will make your heart swell. Though it’s a really romantic, modern love story, but there are a few certain heartbreaking moments which will tug your heartstrings. Wonderfully satisfying, witty and charming, Just A Girl, Standing In Front of A Boy will leave a smile on your face, where every girl’s happy ending is just around the corner. It's so flipping good, I'm giving it my first 10/10 this year! Highly recommended!

Rating: 10/10

LUCY is the perfect Jenny if you ask me! And.. She's lucky to borrow John Krasinski as Joe!

Comments