Book Review: Brooklyn Girls: Angie by Gemma Burgess

Brooklyn Girls: Angie by Gemma Burgess
Publisher: Quercus (6th Mar 2014)

Received a copy for review from publisher, thank you!

Blurb:
Broke. Broken-hearted. Bored. (Not necessarily in that order.)

WELCOME TO NEW YORK CITY.

Angie James is lost.

A regular poster girl for Generation Screwed, being 22 isn’t what she expected.

What happens when having fun isn’t, you know, fun?

In the Brooklyn townhouse she shares with her best friends, Angie wants to figure out what to do with her life. But wild parties, bad dates, dead-end jobs, demanding fashionistas and even true love just keep getting in the way…

Who knew adulthood would be so damn grown-up?

Fans of Gemma Burgess, rejoice! Your (our) favourite author is back with the second book in the Brooklyn Girls series! Since I really enjoyed the first book, I was really looking forward to reading the second book, which follows Angie's life in the Big Apple. Let's just say, if you enjoyed the first book, you'll want to read Brooklyn Girls: Angie!

If you've read the first book, you might get a vague impression of how Angie is as a character, so you can expect a brass, snarky heroine with lots of attitude. I really enjoyed Angie's book. It's the amazeballs. Maybe because I really liked how Angie's life pans out in the book, or I feel like I could connect with Angie, but Brooklyn Girls: Angie is so far my favourite book in the series!

In Brooklyn Girls: Angie, readers are able to learn more about Pia's best friend, the notorious Angie James. Maybe it's just me, but since being introduced to her in the first book, I really liked her already. She's sassy, carefree and wild. But don't hate her, I'm sure everyone has gone through that phase in their lives when they are lost and stray, with no proper direction. The premise of the book and the heroine's predicaments could definitely relate to the young adults today and that's why I love Gemma Burgess's new series. It's all about life at this age and it's perfectly relatable.

Since it's a completely different book compared to the first one, there are certain similarities to the storyline. In Brooklyn Girls: Angie, the heroine Angie is facing a "quarter-life crisis" and her life isn't exactly panning out like how she wanted it to be. On the edge of turning 23, she decides to "grow up" and achieve something. Well, easier said than done!

I thoroughly enjoyed Brooklyn Girls: Angie and after reading it, I can't wait for the next book in the series, but right now, let's talk Angie! So far, I think my favourite character in the series has to be her. I like her sassy, bold attitude and drive to prove herself. And of course, her passion for fashion just makes me admire her more. Gemma Burgess's writing voice really shone through her NA books and I really liked it - funny, sharp and biting.

Although I found the plot a bit predictable, but I really liked how things panned out. And I didn't hope it was shorter nor longer. The entire book is about 300 pages, I think the length of the book was just right. And the ending was really just the perfect way to wrap up a book in an ongoing series, leaving room for Angie to be a part of the other girls' books.

All in all, the second book of the Brooklyn Girls series is as good as it gets. If this is the way Gemma Burgess is going with this series, I'm a fan. I cannot wait for the next books! It's fresh, different, edgy and quirky. If you like her previous adult books, then her new series is chick lit with bite!

Rating: 9/10

Emma Roberts as Angie and Chace Crawford (those eyes!) as the hero of the novel. Read it and you'll find out!
 

Comments