Book Review: Mad About You by Sinead Moriarty

Mad About You by Sinead Moriarty
Publisher: Penguin (8th May 2014)
Amazon || Goodreads

Received a copy for review from the publisher, thank  you!

Blurb:
Emma and James Hamilton have weathered lots of storms in their ten-year marriage. From the heartbreak of infertility, to the craziness of then becoming parents to two babies in one year, to coping with James losing his job, somehow they have always worked as a team.

However, the pressure of moving for James's new job puts them under stress like never before. So when James starts getting texts from a stranger - texts that show startling insights into their lives - Emma is not sure what to think. She is far from home, isolated and before long finds herself questioning everything about their relationship.

Somehow she has to get a grip, but how can she do that when a stranger seems set on driving Emma out of her home and her marriage? 

I have never read any of Sinead Moriarty’s books before and I was really keen to start on Mad About You for a while but due to my ever-growing TBR pile, I couldn’t find the time to read it. I was between books, so I finally picked it up!

Mad About You starts off when Emma and her family leaves to London for her husband, James’s new job. Settling in is a huge challenge for Emma and her children, Yuri and Lara and to top it off, the mums at their school gate aren’t exactly very friendly. Suddenly, James and Emma receive strange, explicit texts from an unknown number which seem to want to drive them apart but coincidentally, these texts are a bit too personal, but who would want to destroy Emma’s family?

As I’ve mentioned, Mad About You is my first Sinead Moriarty book and I went into it without much expectations, that’s the best thing about reading books from authors you’ve not read before – the thrill and excitement really gets to me! OK, I’ll get to the point. I really enjoyed Mad About You. It’s gripping and engaging. The characters are well-written and I really liked Emma, she’s kind, funny and a lovely mother.

I’ll be honest, the intrigue of the mysterious sextexts really got to me and I was really determined to find out who it was. Though, halfway through the book, I had a niggling feeling of the person behind it, but I kept going because I wanted to know why. Mad About You definitely kept me awake at the night, flipping pages faster than I could read the words. It’s got mystery, intrigue and ultimately, betrayal.

I warmed up to Sinead Moriarty’s style of writing almost immediately and it’s easy to read and understand. She describes with such familiarity, that you couldn’t help but enjoy reading the story through Emma’s narrative. It’s funny, crisp and sometimes really sharp. I really felt for Emma when she struggled to adapt to the different surroundings and how she dealt with her crumbling marriage. The plot flowed pretty well and it kept me engaged.

Mad About You in three words? Emotional, heartfelt, compelling. I couldn’t stop reading it and I really enjoyed the company of the characters, especially Emma’s adorable children! I wouldn’t say this is funny and light, but it’s definitely on the darker side of chick lit.


Rating: 8/10

Emily Blunt as Emma and Mark Wahlberg as James

Comments