Book Review: The Summer Without You by Karen Swan

The Summer Without You by Karen Swan
Publisher: Pan (22nd May 2014)

Received a proof copy from the publisher, thank you!

Blurb:
Rowena Tipton isn't looking for a new life, just a new adventure, something to while away the months as her long-term boyfriend presses pause on their relationship before they become engaged. But when a chance encounter at a New York wedding leads to an audition for a coveted houseshare in The Hamptons – Manhattan’s elite beach scene – suddenly a new life is exactly what she’s got.

Stretching before her is a summer with three eclectic housemates, long days on white sand ocean beaches and parties on gilded tennis courts. But high rewards bring high stakes and Rowena soon finds herself caught in the crossfire of a vicious intimidation campaign. Alone for the first time in her adult life, she has no-one to turn to but a stranger who is everything she doesn't want - but possibly everything she needs.

I am ashamed to admit that The Summer Without You is my first ever book by Karen Swan. But... rest assured, it won't be my last! I was really craving for a book that will transport me to a different, more exotic place and this book did just that! Just what I was looking for and more.

The book follows the story of Rowena Tipton, a professional photographer whose life is suddenly put on pause because her long-term boyfriend wanted to take a "break" from their relationship and travel in Asia. Cue warning signs and blaring sirens. To rub it in his face, Ro decides on a whim to accept a houseshare with a few newly acquainted friends in The Hamptons.

I found the characters wonderfully written, I really warmed up to the heroine, Ro almost immediately and the characters readers are introduced as the book progresses are equally well written and it made me feel like I was a part of the book! There's a potential love-triangle going on and it adds intrigue to the book as well as a welcome romance.

Since The Summer Without You is my first by Karen, I was on stranger tides and I just allowed the book to take me along its plot. Immediately, I was enjoying every page of it and finding it really hard to part from this book! The book is set in The Hamptons, bar a few opening chapters and I loved Karen Swan's detailed and thorough description of the beautiful paradise. I loved how much I could relax and read about Ro's adventures with her friends and it's pure escapism. Aside from the glamorous lives of The Hamptons' elite, there's an underlying plot which will definitely keep you hooked. You've been warned!

The Summer Without You is delicious, glamorous and purely sinful. It's your ideal summer read and you won't be disappointed, you have my word. Well, coming from a huge fan of summer novels, you cannot miss this sexy new book by Karen Swan. It's got everything you need for a holiday - drama, romance, intrigue and more romance and drama.

Rating: 9/10 

Amanda Seyfried as Rowena and Channing Tatum (fans self) as Ted

Comments