Book Review: OMG Baby! by Emma Garcia

OMG Baby! by Emma Garcia
Publisher: Hodder (5th Jun 2014)

Received a proof copy for review from the publisher, thank you!

Blurb:
This ISN'T a book about babies. It's not about sleepless nights, nappies or nurseries. It IS about two people, one unexpected pregnancy and a question . . .

Viv and Max were best friends for years, then they were lovers and then it all went wrong.

Now finally they are to be reunited. Viv feels sick. Not just with nerves at seeing Max again, but because there's a small chance she might . . . quite possibly . . . most definitely . . . be pregnant.

It's thrilling. But also terrifying. Most of the time they can hardly look after themselves, let alone a baby.

And then Viv's estranged mother reappears on the scene and they all end up sharing a bedsit . . . and hell breaks loose.

HOW ON EARTH ARE THEY GOING TO COPE?

Emma Garcia's debut novel, Never Google Heartbreak was one of my favourite debut novels last year and when I found out that she has written a sequel, I flipped out. I was so excited to read it because I loved every page of it and I laughed a lot.

OMG Baby! is another LOL read. I loved the British humour Emma Garcia possesses and it's really refreshing to read about pregnancy from someone like Liv's perspective. The book continues where the first book left off, (if you haven't read it, you should!), and right away, I felt at home with the characters. I have missed Liv and her crazy antics, but in this book, it's more than insane as she struggles through pregnancy.

Since it's a sequel and there is a slight chance that many have not read the previous book, I won't say much about the plot. In fact, I will commend on Emma Garcia's style of writing, which is perfect for modern love stories - funny, sharp and witty. I liked how she managed to create such a down-to-earth, slightly kooky heroine. And don't get me started on Max. Man alive, that guy is fit!

I laughed out loud, gasped and even got so cross at some point in the book. One of the major surprises in the book comes from the sudden visit from Liv's mother who left her when she was young. So, there will be bucketfuls of tension when Lorraine (Liv's mother) crashes into their life. Though OMG Baby! sounds like your average romantic comedy, but the book deals with pregnancy (obviously), parenting and touches on miscarriages too. I was in stitches during the delivery chapters.

All in all, OMG Baby! was such a thrill to read. I really enjoyed the humour and feel good story. I admit, there were times I wanted to club Liv in the head for being such a pushover when she had to deal with her mother, but I can't hit women and assault on pregnant women is inhumane. But rest assured, there's character progression in the book and you'll love the new Liv. As hilarious as the first book, with buckets of charm and pregnancy drama.

Rating: 8/10

Funny lady Zooey Deschanel still is my Liv but there's a slight change for Max. It's Max Greenfield! :)

Comments